Hey. My name's Elisa. I'm from Mexico. I have a question about a professor of mine, about his behaviour. I'm 22, and my professor is 20 years my senior. Anyways, that's not the matter that I want to discuss here!

Last year he taught me a subject in the second semester. I never saw him before at university campus. As I was very interested in his class I'd stay some more time with a friend to ask him stuff about it.

Later I wrote to him a mail with personal content, for I found he could help me with some academic crises I was having. He was really open and replied me with personal experiences in order to help me. He's objectively a very good professor.

During vacations, for certain reasons I went to university every day, and casually found him on my way or so. He saluted me saying "Hi Elisa!".

This year I went to visit him to his office once or twice. We have very similar interests in books, politics, cinema, music that many people around us don't share, so it's really a pleasure to talk with him.
First time we had a somewhat long talk that never happened before.

I'd visit him once a week usually. I don't remember after how many visits he saluted me with cheek-kiss. That happened in front of the secretary. She had a face of amazement.

Sometimes I find him after class is over, so we talk a bit. It's weird in front of others he barely speaks and he doesn't cheek-kiss me. Once it was so obvious that he saw me and his "instinct" was to get near me so we could cheek-kiss... But there was a student of his next to us, he realised that and he instantly stepped back.

Last day I went to visit him (because of holidays I didn't see him for maybe three weeks) and when I entered his office be turned towards me still seated in his chair in position for cheek-kissing. I got near and responded to his "insinuation" (don't take the term as something morally bad). We had a nice somewhat long talk. I noticed something: he usually looks directly in the eye to people when he talks, he did the same for the whole semester that he was my professor, and for other two months maybe. I didn't stand his look too much before, but later I'd stand it. I also looked at him into the eyes and he looked away after some seconds (he was now the one who didn't stand looking into my eyes). This last day I noticed something else, he now doesn't even stand my look for about 3-4 seconds (it's not an exact quantity, for sure, but something similar possibly). When I said I was about to go and stood up to do so, he immediately did the same and touched my right arm in order to cheek-kiss me to say goodbye. I instinctively did the same (touched his left arm) as we kissed (in the cheek) but when our hands were turning back to our sides we touched our hands lightly, and the fingers of my hand were curved (as if I was going to receive something in the palm of my hand) and his fingers and mine were stuck for milliseconds. It was an accident, so I didn't give it importance, hence I didn't say sorry or anything. He sat down in his chair and looked at me as I went while we both said stuff like "have a nice day -oh thanks, you too- see you soon - take care".

So, yesterday my friend and I went to his cubicle to leave a paper to another professor. As he saw us he said "hi, how are you?" to both of us. My friend replied and they started to talk. I stood there with half of my face against the wall and the other half in the hole of the door (I hope you understand my description). My friend was writing a note to the professor, so for a while as she talked with him she looked down to write, and I was looking around for I wasn't taking part in the conversation, and in that moment when she looked down to the paper I looked up to see my professor. He was looking at me with a very soft and tender look. I found it sweet, but it makes me wonder whether he feels any kind of attraction towards me, or he's just being nice. He's single and has never had children... Does he see me as a daughter?

My friend commented that it's weird we both don't talk to each other in the presence of other people (her). We barely tell each other stuff when there's a third person... So she finds weird when I tell her I have pretty cool conversations with him face to face. Another friend of mine told him to notice if he cheek-kisses other students. For now I've seen he doesn't do it with my friend, and I saw he said goodbye to a graduate (female) student and he just made a joke about I don't know what, and they never cheek-kissed. Not even the intention to do so was seen in none of them both...

I have to add that I'm not really physically attractive at all. I'm short, not fit, I'm not feminine (I don't wear makeup nor do I dress girly), I have bad skin, etc.

Also, I must mention that in Latinamerica cheek-kissing is common, but not among professors and students. I only know one professor who cheek-kisses all girls, but he's got a reputation...

So, what do you think, men?

Thanks for your answers in advance. If I can help you with something just tell me!