+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Hey, I could really use some of your advise!

Hey, I could really use some of your advise!

Hi everyone, this may be a little lengthy but I need relationship advise!
    Here's the background info: I came to college in SC last fall and met this guy the first night while playing volleyball. I was physically very attracted to him and we got to know each other and later that night he asked for my number. We were similar on some levels but also very different because he likes hunting (I'm a vegetarian) and he's religious (and I'm not).

At school his faith didn't play too big a role but deep down I guess it did...first off he didn't believe in sex before marriage and this came as kind of a shock becuase he was very avid in going to frat parties, drinking, etc.. Nevertheless we got along perfectly, enjoyed our differences and physically were very drawn to each other and had so much fun together and always made the other laugh.

All of that aside, he broke up with me out of the blue a couple months later. He said he didn't see the point in our dating anymore because he could never marry me becuase I'm not a christian. Right before this, his best friend had gotten engaged and his ex girlfriend had too...he also spent the wkend of thanksgiving with his family and somehow I think all of this pressured him.

All in all, he broke up with me for reasons I can't really help (being religious) and if he'd given me another chance I'd have opened up to him on so many more levels. Now we still see each other at school and have a class together that we'd arranged last semester. We've both tried to be friends a time or two, played ping pong one night and small talk one day but it's too hard becuase we both still have feelings for the other.

I've been asked out by a few other guys but they don't compare to the feelings I had for my ex. I feel like I could move on if there was nothing there, but when we see each other I can sense he still likes me. I miss him and I feel he misses me too but he won't act on them. When he broke up with me I didn't say much at all, just kind of listened. I vented to friends but I still never told him my feelings--I know I should have. Now, after about two and a half months I feel it is too late for me to tell him how I feel. yet I don't know if it's even my position to tell him my feelings because it was never really about them anyway. Since he broke up with me, I feel that he needs to make a move if there is ever to be one, not me. What should I do? If anything at all?
    Thank you!

He did you a huge favor. You could attempt to be gracious about it and try to move on with your life so that he might move on with his, too.

You seem to think that telling him about your feelings would change the fact that he's religious and you aren't. He's a rhinoceros and you're a giraffe. He did the right thing, and it's not just because his family pressured him. If you had respect for him, you would respect his beliefs and his decision.

So yes, let him go. You can't be friends and you're not going to make it as a couple. Move on.
    Spammer Spanker