+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The gift of Jewelry

The gift of Jewelry

So, my female friend said, "when a boyfriend gives you jewelry, it shows how serious he is about you."

I was wondering, if this is true? Especially if the couple has not been together long? I'm talking about higher fine jewelry (etc. Nordstrom or Tiffany).

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LC897 View Post
    So, my female friend said, "when a boyfriend gives you jewelry, it shows how serious he is about you."
    Only if he knows he can buy his way to your heart.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    yup... if a girl thinks like this, then she's usually after his money.a girl shouldn't expect to receive expensive things.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It seems to me that the person buying the gift is the one who should determine what hidden meaning there may or may not be, not the receiver.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Nope, not necessarily. He just wanted to buy a gift...like Vashti said, only the buyer/giver determines the meaning of it.

My non-serious guy bought me fine jewelry as a Christmas present last year. We only knew each other for about five or six months and he bought it because I assumed he could afford it. It wasn't very expensive but expensive for me and any gift I have ever received from a boyfriend relationship.

When I bought him fine jewelry for his birthday he said, "What's the occasion?" lol So you see only the giver determines the meaning.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    It seems to me that the person buying the gift is the one who should determine what hidden meaning there may or may not be, not the receiver.
    Ohohoho, we got the next zen master lined up.

I was wondering, if this is true? Especially if the couple has not been together long? I'm talking about higher fine jewelry (etc. Nordstrom or Tiffany).

Thanks!
    In my case... it means the guy knows absolutely nothing about me.. if he did, he'd know that I don't like jewelry. Things with high monetary value as far as gifts go tend to be unnecessary (perhaps a nice gesture for some... but it is just a luxury). In the end all that really matters is the happiness that is shared... not the method in which such happiness was obtained... be it with time, money, or favors.
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

A girl is serious if she'll marry you even for a cheap plastic ring.

A guy is serious if he wants to marry you at all.

Unless they're just complete jackasses.

My engagement bling will probably be a cheezle (cheese ring, whatever you call it)
    My partner's mother has bought me more jewelry than he's likely to in a lifetime, but that doesn't mean he's not serious (he must be, if he's mother is though!).

I've never been one for jewelry. I see it as a waste of money - I rather us spend 900 bucks on something practical.

Quote Originally Posted by miSSleepy View Post
    I've never been one for jewelry. I see it as a waste of money - I rather us spend 900 bucks on something practical.

I'm with you. On a normal day I wear very little jewellery. I accessorize with more costume jewellery as I find it a bit more interesting. I think the only thing I would wear regularly would be an engagement/wedding ring.

Expectation of monetary compensation as an expression of your worth to a man is actually rather silly. While some men express their love in this manner, not all do. Outside of engagement rings, I've purchased very little jewelery for women. I'd much rather take them on a trip or provide them with a memorable experience together. Me giving a person an object does not assign value to it. I don't value Christmas/Birthday gifts nearly as much as I do an engagement or wedding ring.

Pretty much you need to judge the woman as an individual, and what would make her happy, and what would you be happy giving her. If the two align, and you feel good about meeting a particular desire, then I'd say you're on a somewhat good track lacking other evidence to make a call by.

Sorry, I'd much rather give an iPod loaded with meaningful songs, than a ring she may wear once or twice a year. Or a pair of nice earrings she may bring out every other month.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

That just sounds like your female friend is trying to associate her desire for nice shiny things with how much a guy cares about her. She's most likely doing this because she just wants jewelery. That's like a guy saying "when your girlfriend gives you a blowjob ten times a day, it shows how serious she is about you."

Get more honest female friends.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Like everything it depends on context. Someone wealthy might not consider expensive jewelry anything special.

Anyway, if in doubt, best to just ask.

I'm definitely not a jewelry person, or at least not real jewelry. If given it, I'd accept it, but I would feel so bad having it thinking on the amount spent to buy it and what the money could have actually gone to. Plus, if I were to lose it, I'd freak the **** out.

My mother said there was this newlywed couple who as staying at the hotel she works at and he bought her a really expensive ring (between 60-100,000) and she lost it on the beach(or was it the cruise?). They got a divorce lol.

But yea, that chick was just tryin to say she wants expensive jewelry, and she did a horrible job at hiding it. Not all women are into jewelry, including myself. If I get fake jewelry from a guy, I'd be satisfied. The only real jewelry I'd ever want is an engagement/wedding ring, as stated before.

"Now I aint sayin she a golddigga, but she aint messin with no broke....."
    ..::.*Love is giving someone the ability to break your heart but trusting them not to*.::..

Who in the world wear their expensive jewelry on a trip? That's what costume jewelry is for. That's a very sad story. Wow. I know I would lose it and the reason I wouldn't wear jewelry...especially very expensive ones.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast