+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Financial disagreement with partner- looking for opinions

Financial disagreement with partner- looking for opinions

Hello everyone,

I'm in a sticky situation with my partner and would like others perspectives. A while ago, my partner signed up to do a business course, for the price of £4000. It turns out that there was a buy one, get one free offer, so he shared it with me under the agreement that I would pay him £2000, so that we go halves. We delayed the start date of our course due to other commitments. Since then, I have become unsure as to whether the course really is for me and discussed my genuine concerns that I may not be suitable to pursue it.

He is angry about this and is saying that if I don't pay, that it will have a negative affect on the relationship. I have asked him if he'd be willing to reimburse me, given that I don't have any money and he has a lump sum of £225 000. Plus the fact that he was willing to pay £4000 for it originally. It feels a bit unfair.

He is saying that I agreed, if I've changed my mind, that's my problem.

I'm very worried and anxious so any opinions would be great.

Linz

What a scumbag. He have 200k and asking girl who dont have money for 2k. I doubt if he loves you cause damn this does not sound good. Right now I have less money but I wouldnt ask girl I love to pay for herself knowing that she have no money. Even with girls who have more money than me and I didnt like that much I been paying for both.

I think the problem here is that you agreed and now want to back off. Its good to keep your word and well being flakey on keeping your word might give you less value in his eyes.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

'Partner'

If by partner, you're referring exclusively to a business partner, then you are obligated. You did initially agree to pay the fee.

If he is your life partner and you're romantically involved and he's threatening that this decision of yours to renege will have negative consequences on your relationship with him - he's not worthy of your time IMHO.

This is a man that is balancing his affection for you with finances. I would still feel this way EVEN if the two of you had equal income and financial resources, the fact that he is significantly wealthier and is still insisting that you pony up financially - is a complete dick move.

If he is miserly in other aspects, with a running tally of who owes what, I would consider that a character flaw and a major hindrance to anything long term. He doesn't sound very sympathetic or supportive.

I'd re-evaluate him @ this point. I'm sorry. =/

'Partner'

If by partner, you're referring exclusively to a business partner, then you are obligated. You did initially agree to pay the fee.

If he is your life partner and you're romantically involved and he's threatening that this decision of yours to renege will have negative consequences on your relationship with him - he's not worthy of your time IMHO.

This is a man that is balancing his affection for you with finances. I would still feel this way EVEN if the two of you had equal income and financial resources, the fact that he is significantly wealthier and is still insisting that you pony up financially - is completely self serving and selfish.

If he is miserly in other aspects, with a running tally of who owes what, I would consider that a character flaw and a major hindrance to anything long term. He doesn't sound very sympathetic or supportive.

I'd re-evaluate at this point. I'm Sorry. =/
    Last edited by Anniveve; 29-05-17 at 05:53 AM.

If he continues to pressure you to pay up, find any way to get money from whomever, pay him back and never talk to him again. He of all people should be sympathetic and support to you, being he is your bf. Also, wouldn't yours technically be FREE ( as the free with buying one) so why pressure you to pay back?

I full on see his point. U agreed to share costs and thus are at least morally if not even legally obligated to pay
    However to drag the relationship into it is just a big shitmove
    Maybe you can find someone else who wants to go or TALK and find another solution.
    And he could have 2 million quid on the bank. That doesn't change anything
    If you think I am insulting you with my post or bashing you: You do not get the point.
    I am not here to insult or bash anyone. I offer up my free time to help. Take from my post what is useful to you.
    If you are angry about my post or myself, then please stop and think how that happened. Usually that is the way the brain responds if a critical belief system is challenged (its called cognitive dissonance). If you have trouble with it please answer in the thread. I will come back to you.

Arguments about money kills love. Seriously. If you are having frequent arguments with your partner about who owes who/what, you should seriously re-evaluate whether you should be in the relationship.