+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Confessing to a crush via a letter

Confessing to a crush via a letter

I like this woman, and have decided to express my interest in her via a letter. We have been friends for about 2.5 months, and recently started to notice that like her more than just friends. My plan is to give the letter to her in person, and then await her response. Thoughts on this as well? Lastly here is the contents of the letter. Note: opinions, critique, etc are welcome.

Dear XX,

I am not so good with talking about my feelings sometimes, but I didn't want my thoughts to go unsaid... so I thought a letter would be best.
    I like you XX, and I hope we can be more than friends. I have never met a woman as sweet, kind, smart, and beautiful as you. The sound of your voice can only be compared to a chorus of angels, and when I hear it it melts my heart. I hope that we can attempt a relationship, but I understand of you want to remain just friends.

Note: this will translated into a foreign language we both speak, to make it more special. Now for the last sentence is that necessary? Thanks!

It seems easy to write letter but its actually hard to give that letter to the girl you like.

That about angels makes me think that you are infatuated with a girl. Really carried away in your head. She might read it about her voice and think to herself - "WTH I dont have angel voice I been drinking and smoking all my life I sound like a bum."

I think you should write anything that you wont say in real life. Thats a golden rule. Also if you give her letter then make her read it right away and ask for feedback.
    I think its good that you want to express love and you are still learning doing it but at least you would have tried and thats better than nothing.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Quote Originally Posted by pcmaster View Post
    It seems easy to write letter but its actually hard to give that letter to the girl you like.

That about angels makes me think that you are infatuated with a girl. Really carried away in your head. She might read it about her voice and think to herself - "WTH I dont have angel voice I been drinking and smoking all my life I sound like a bum."
    So.. should I not include that line? Any other suggestions as to compliments? I also have a backup plan wherein I drop in her mailbox, and wait her for her response, assuming I can't ger Halonen to give the letter, or find an appropriate time to do so.

Its your letter so you choose the words. It should come from you. DOnt drop it in her mailbox, that would be creepy and she more likely wont even talk about it with you and try to avoid you afterwards. SO only option is to give it in person or dont give it at all.
    More normal would be tell in person her that she have a sweet voice.I once told to old lady that she have a pleasent voice and she seemed flattered. Have said young girl more my age that she have a nice voice too but it seemed like didnt have any effect.

Anyway droping letter in mailbox would be a cowardly thing to do and you just would tell her that way that you lack confidence.

Fair enough PC Master. I will ensure I give it to her in person. Still, confused on the whole voice thing though. So does it sound weird in the letter to you? I have actually thought about just cutting it out, and either putting something else in its place, or just leave the letter without the sentence, and nothing else added.

Well it might seem to much to her. But if thats who you are and what you think then you could say it to her just you risk while being so brutaly honest if she will accept the way you are and feel about her. Might sound too sweet for her or sound creepy, like it could scare her or push her away. How would you feel if some girl told you your voice sounds like thousand angels?
    most likely she have no idea you like her so it would be big junk to swallow and process. IDK if shes able to do it or react in your favour.

Actually its safer to ask girl out on date than tell her you like her when you never dated or been close to her.
    Last edited by pcmaster; 04-06-17 at 12:54 AM.

I agree, but time is of the essence since I am on a study abroad trip. That is the only reason, I am resorting to this method. Also, I technically have been close to her, in the sense that we have had private moments, and hangouts before. The problem was that I was not interested in her then. I see where you are coming from in the whole processing of my feelings, and the difficulty theirin for her. However, I would rather know how she felt, then live with regret. That does include if she says no. Also for the letter, I had an idea. So... we both like strategy, puzzle, thinking,etc. type games. So I though about writing the letter, and dropping it in her mail box. I know I shouldn't, but then I could make a game out of it perhaps. Have her search for the the one responsible, build some tension and suspense maybe. May make for some fun.

Would be way to much for me, but if you think it will achieve what you want it to then go for it and see how it works
    If you think I am insulting you with my post or bashing you: You do not get the point.
    I am not here to insult or bash anyone. I offer up my free time to help. Take from my post what is useful to you.
    If you are angry about my post or myself, then please stop and think how that happened. Usually that is the way the brain responds if a critical belief system is challenged (its called cognitive dissonance). If you have trouble with it please answer in the thread. I will come back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooo! View Post
    Would be way to much for me, but if you think it will achieve what you want it to then go for it and see how it works
    What would be way to much for you? The whole Shabang, or my very last post about the puzzle/game idea?

I would cut out the angel chorus bit, and the last sentence. Instead of asking to attempt a relationship (that sounds a little intimidating to me) how about you ask her out somewhere instead?

Quote Originally Posted by WillowFlower View Post
    I would cut out the angel chorus bit, and the last sentence. Instead of asking to attempt a relationship (that sounds a little intimidating to me) how about you ask her out somewhere instead?
    So... I found time, later today, to just ask her in person. I'm making her a polish dinner, and after we eat I'll just aske her then. So, I am planning on just taking my letter, and converting parts of it to words. Not verbatim. She is a master student, and as such I didn't want to make date plans. So... since I am doing this in person which parts should I use from my letter?

In person I think these lines will deliver your point you want to say it -

"I am not so good with talking about my feelings sometimes, but I didn't want my thoughts to go unsaid.
    I like you XX, and I hope we can be more than friends. I have never met a woman as sweet, kind, smart, and beautiful as you. I hope that we can attempt a relationship, but I understand of you want to remain just friends. "

In this way you compliment her and say he you like her, besides you give her option to remain friends so not much pressure here since she have two options.

Cool! Is the first paragraph able to be omitted? My thought is that if I drag it on too much, it will leave more room for error. However, it does give me some wiggle room. I may just keep it. Should I also suggest a date, or no?

I think you should suggest date first and if she says no then dont tell her your letter. or if she agress then tell her your letter on a date. You could also suggest date after you tell her and she reacts well, but safer would be just to suggest a date and give her like sever options in terms when to meet.

Quote Originally Posted by pcmaster View Post
    In person I think these lines will deliver your point you want to say it -

"I am not so good with talking about my feelings sometimes, but I didn't want my thoughts to go unsaid.
    I like you XX, and I hope we can be more than friends. I have never met a woman as sweet, kind, smart, and beautiful as you. I hope that we can attempt a relationship, but I understand of you want to remain just friends. "

In this way you compliment her and say he you like her, besides you give her option to remain friends so not much pressure here since she have two options.
    I'm coming into this thread after many responses, so I didn't have time to go through the whole thing..... But I will say that I do think pc's suggestion above is great.

First off, I'd personally suggest talking to her face to face rather than doing so in a letter. I mean, if you absolutely could not bring yourself to do it face to face then a letter is better than nothing, but really face to face is the way to go. I would also 100% agree with keeping it simple as others said. In other words, the stuff like "Your voice is like a chorus of angels" and all that is too much. That is more the sort of thing I would suggest you say to somebody with whom you've long been in a relationship. To say that to somebody when asking them out... you may just scare them off thinking you are way too into them.

And, honestly, maybe you are SUPER into her.... but you still have to somewhat "play it cool" as people say and not show too much of that to her. Because, in some small part, you do have to remind yourself that you can't really know somebody well enough to be that into them until you are actually dating. Don't get me wrong. It's okay to FEEL that way... you just have to also engage your intellectual side and realize that, if you two actually did date, there is still the chance she'd turn out not to be who/what you thought. So, in that way you want to treat her as any gal you'd want to date.... not as though she's the ONLY girl you would ever want to date.

What pc said above, paraphrasing your own words, I think is great. I think telling her that she is kind, sweet, etc. is perfectly fine. It also explains, to some degree, why you are asking her out. If you've been hanging out strictly as friends it may well come as a bit of a surprise to her. That could be a good surprise, though, but you won't know until you try. Good luck to you! I hope it goes well. If, for any reason, it does not though.... Just know that there WILL be other women. When you get so into somebody it can be hard not to get a sort of tunnel vision where you only want them and can't imagine wanting anybody else. But, if she doesn't want to be with you, somebody else will. She's not the one and only person who could ever be your perfect match. Hopefully you two really hit it off and you don't even have to worry about that, though. Good luck!