+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Ex wants to reconcile suddenly

Ex wants to reconcile suddenly

So this January I broke up with my ex because I felt his heart wasn't in it anymore and that he wasn't giving the relationship the same attention as he used to and there were many other reasons for ending this seven year relationship.

I tried to make it work with him after because I wanted him to appreciate what we had. He didn't want to come back after. We broke up in January and now it is July. My ex and I had been in contact this whole time, as we are good friends. But there would be times when I would cut contact to give myself a break.

All the sudden my ex talks about this phase of him not wanting to get together is ending quickly. Turns out he had a one night stand a couple of days before saying he wanted to reconcile. He now says he doesn't want to lose his best friend and appreciates what we have.

Last year he said the same thing about not wanting to lose his best friend after he broke up with me after I confronted him about coming home at 4 am and taking an Uber with another woman to his university from downtown.

Does he actually care or am I just being used? Should I move on? I am so invested I feel I have lost perspective on this.

He went from not caring about speaking to me and not reaching out (for about five months) to wanting to speak to me Daily and consider therapy together.

Seems very very odd to me but I don't know what to make of it. Also his good friend is moving to another country in a month.

Thank you.

Exs are exs because of reasons
    If you think I am insulting you with my post or bashing you: You do not get the point.
    I am not here to insult or bash anyone. I offer up my free time to help. Take from my post what is useful to you.
    If you are angry about my post or myself, then please stop and think how that happened. Usually that is the way the brain responds if a critical belief system is challenged (its called cognitive dissonance). If you have trouble with it please answer in the thread. I will come back to you.

I mean honestly I just didn't feel appreciated. He always made it seem like he had to put in so much effort to make me happy. I mean I think I wanted normal stuff after seven years. I wished he would try to act excited to go to my family gatherings (I stopped inviting him because I saw how uncomfortable he was and he didn't seem to care about that at all), ask me to go on vacation with his family like we had always done in the past, he would come over and get upset at me for being upset he was constantly late to see me (yet I told him to come to my place thirty minutes before I anticipated being there- of course his is the one night he was on time and he pouted for a while that I made him wait), he didn't seem interested in planning things with me (I always made the plans because he said he is just lazier than me), and he always always talked about marriage and kids in the far future and how it would be great but never made any sort of plans towards a proposal or thinking of any kind of wedding things despite him always saying he'd wanna marry me in the future.

I'm just pissed why would someone string someone along for so long, tell them they love them, lie to them, make excuses for behavior, but claim they love this person even though they can see their behavior upsets the person!? Like why would someone voluntarily put themselves in a situation like that?? Like he could have changed behaviors or try to work through problems with me to make for a happier relationship or just left!! He resents me because he didn't get to go wild in college because he had a girlfriend, and he NEVER told me this in college. I thought he was happy and thought he was a lucky guy. This is absolutely bull that someone would do that, I feel like I was lied to for year. How can someone fake a relationship and love even though the other person is clearly in love with you but you don't feel the same way. That is so incredibly cruel to do to anyone. Are other people like this?

You just didn't know each other. And you still don't. Both ofyou didn't talk about your goals and emotions which you need to do in any working relationship (in my opinion)

And now you complain you don't understand him.
    If you think I am insulting you with my post or bashing you: You do not get the point.
    I am not here to insult or bash anyone. I offer up my free time to help. Take from my post what is useful to you.
    If you are angry about my post or myself, then please stop and think how that happened. Usually that is the way the brain responds if a critical belief system is challenged (its called cognitive dissonance). If you have trouble with it please answer in the thread. I will come back to you.