+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Did i overreact?

Did i overreact?

I've been exclusively talking, not in a relationship yet, to my best friends cousin. He and I have know each other for almost 6 years plus. This gentleman has so called like me since the 10th grade. Anyways, he had a enlistment thing to go to. I had asked him why he did not invite me. His excuses was he had already send out invitations for it in may. I thought that was a load of bs. I found out yesterday night through my best friend, who went because of course she is family, that his ex girlfriend was there. My best friend got there late but saw them taking pictures together. He didn't tell she was going to be there, so I felt like he didn't take us talking seriously. So I ended it with him. He sent me an apologize text last night. I felt like he could have easily uninvited her and that was the reason why he didn't want me to go. This ex is the one who so called cheated on him 🤷. I just don't understand!

Questioning if this was an overreaction gives a clue that it may have been. He did all this and it bothered you. What did his actions communicate to you? Then, did your actions seem appropriate to the communication?
    Psychoanalytical Psychotherapist: Online and In Office Psychotherapy Sessions.

By him not telling me his ex girlfriend went and he was taking photos with her, showed me he didn't take me seriously! That's why I ended us talking!

Sounds like the right decision for you then.
    Psychoanalytical Psychotherapist: Online and In Office Psychotherapy Sessions.

No you did not overreact, you are a very smart lady and obviously you refuse to make time for any BS.
    https://www.gofundme.com/a-man-gone-be-a-man

If you don't understand, then ask him to explain. First, you said you aren't in a relationship, so there is no reason he can't take pictures with his ex or has to bring you as his date. You have known him for 6 years and your relationship consists only of talking. Perhaps you have unrealistic expectations of how he should behave. It sounds like the two of you view the the relationship in different ways. I would definitely talk to him and clear things up rather than punishing him by not contacting him anymore.