+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Are we listening to each other?

Are we listening to each other?

My wife and I seem to be in a rut and I don't know what to do. Most of our arguments seem to stem from her saying or not saying something and then me telling her she did or didn't say whatever it is. For example, yesterday I'm heading out to play softball and she's going to her sister's. I ask if she'll be home for dinner. I swear she said she didn't know. I get home, she's not there, so I text her to tell her I wish she had let me know she didn't plan on being home. She turns around and tells me she told me she wouldn't be home. Clearly one of us has to be wrong, but I don't know what we can do to avoid these types of miscommunication. Any advice is appreciated.

I would suggest a good deep talk about how your relationship is going, about what you like and what you would like to change.

Good luck
    If you think I am insulting you with my post or bashing you: You do not get the point.
    I am not here to insult or bash anyone. I offer up my free time to help. Take from my post what is useful to you.
    If you are angry about my post or myself, then please stop and think how that happened. Usually that is the way the brain responds if a critical belief system is challenged (its called cognitive dissonance). If you have trouble with it please answer in the thread. I will come back to you.

Hoo is right, you need to focus on the issues at hand, its okay to sit down with her and talk about miscommunications and what you both can do to improve at it. Speak from the heart, be assertive, calm, understanding and listen to her. Act like a man who is trying to improve things. Don't fight or argue(meaning, raising temper tantrums or name calling or bashing), its okay to disagree. This will only strengthen your relationships.

Disagreements are healthy when both individuals are willing to stand up and confront one another in a good manner, and couples that stay together and work together to improve the relationship, will have a great long term relationship.