+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Need some help with my controlling girlfriend

Need some help with my controlling girlfriend

Hey. I'm looking for some advice. My girlfriend is very controlling and makes me feel like shit. I recently shaved my beard (it was more bum fluff than anything) and she went mental at me started crying saying she doesn't like it I told her I'll regrow it and she goes that will take ages. She also gets irritated and raises her voice at me over anything. For instance if I do something she finds annoying she will moan at me. She also spends a lot of my money, problem is I can never say anything because when I do she does the following:

1. Moans and starts saying that I'm making her out to be this person who she is not (horrible etc)

2. Moans and says fine I'll buy it myself I don't need your money (Yet, I've spent £3,000 on her in less than a year)

3. Moan at me if I say no. It's easier to say yes and let her get her own way otherwise she will just be negative and make me feel so depressed and suicidal. I can't stand negativity but shes the queen of it.

4. I sometimes wish to break up with her but.. 1. She always says if I do she will kill herself as she has nothing to live for. 2. I have no where to go. (we live together)

I need help!

Sounds like a toxic relationship. "She always says if I do she will kill herself as she has nothing to live for"

You need to start putting your foot down and put her in her place. She's being rude and disrespectful. It continues because you don't stand up for yourself.
    "It's easier to say yes and let her get her own way" Wrong. Don't get me wrong,there are times when you should let things go, and you need to compromise and work things out. But it sounds like she needs you to step up and be a man in this relationship.

Women actually want you to be assertive, (do not confuse being assertive with being a controlling asshole) and stand up for yourself. It's attractive.
    A man that knows what he wants and won't tolerate disrespect. Why? Because she will feel safe with him and trust his masculinity.

Plsu, its how you solve issues. If you never stand up for yourself, you never get in disagreements and disagreements don't have to be a negative event.
    They can actually improve relationships. Don't be afraid of them. Just handle them with a calm demeanor, and express how you feel without directly attacking your partner.

As for the suicide comments, maybe both of you should seek professional help. Actually I recommend it. There's places you can go for this.

You are not responsible for her threats or killing herself. She is.
    She needs professional help.
    In the mean time if you don't like this behaviour then just tell her each time and ignore the shit.

For example your beard is gone. She gets mad. You go: but I like it this way better.
    She moans at you and starts being strange and vicious
    You go: you know what I do not like? When you moan at me and say vicious things like "xxx". I really hate that

The key is to not go on her level of viciousness and toxic but to remain friendly BUT to be steady.
    Stop abusive behaviour each single time and tell her you are going to.
    This is no foundation for a good and lasting relationship.
    And because of course you want a good and lasting relationship you will now change things
    For her

Stand up for yourself.. put your foot down