+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Indicating interest (without being too vague)

Indicating interest (without being too vague)

Hello guys,

I would appreciate a man's advice on letting a guy know that I want to date him.

I'll try to be brief: I have a serous crush on a my internship supervisor. Sometimes I feel that he likes me too, but of course I don't really know. He is single, and our age does not differ that much. During my internship I tried not to flirt because I am his student and I feel that is inappropriate. On top of that, I absolutely do not want him to ever think that I am flirting with him just to get a better grade. I must admit it is difficult not to flirt because I want him to know that he has caught my interest. And I am really scared that when I am done with my internship my chance, if any, with him will be gone as well.

Now my internship is coming to an end. I wish that he, if he likes me too, would ask me out on a date once I am no longer his student. But I think he is a bit shy when it comes to women. So, he needs to know that I like him. At the end of my internship I will give him a thank you gift (his favourite drink), and this would be the moment to make some sort of move! I am considering to say something like "get over here, now I have an excuse to kiss you/now I can finally kiss you", when giving the three kisses on his cheeks. Would you consider that to be a clear signal of interest? Or is it too much?

Or do you suggest I should say something more explicitly suggesting that we go on a date together? He makes me shy though, so it already feels bold to me to say that I can finally kiss him. Would you as a man dislike it if a woman asks you out on a date?

I was also thinking to craft a paper flower, and tie it to the drink - as some sort of decoration. But I guess that is not exactly an obvious sign that I like him. I have his phone number, so I could also contact him after a while to ask how he is doing and if he would like to drink a coffee with me. However, I think it is better to make some sort of move when we are actually standing in front of each other.

What are your thoughts on this?
    Thanks in advance for your opinion!
    Last edited by Spinosaurus; 29-09-17 at 07:04 PM.

I think kissing a guy is a clear signal that you like him. =) Bravo on the fact that you didn't show him your interest in him during the internship. I can't speak for all guys, but I love ladies who take charge sometimes and ask me out. I also enjoyed girls initiating the first kiss. The vanilla way to show interest is to give me a call once your internship is over, but that is no fun. I wouldn't jump him either on the last day, as that could be a little too forward. Based on your country flag, are you from the Netherlands? I am not too familiar with that culture to know what is the norm.
    I'd say either ask him out on date the last day and give him the drink gift with paper flower.

You sound awesome, so I hope it works out. Nice handle name by the way.

Thanks for your reply! Very much appreciated! I am happy to read that you have enjoyed it when a girl takes initiative, that gives me some more confidence!

I am indeed from The Netherlands, and I agree that giving a kiss is an obvious sign haha. However, unfortunately not so much in the setting that I describe. Because in our country it is very conventional to give someone three kisses on the cheeks when congratulating them and in many other situations as well. So in regard to giving a sign that I like him, I worry that just giving the kisses as I hand over the thank you gift might come off as etiquette and thus are meaningless. That's why I feel I have to say something during that moment! And I need to find the courage as well!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Spinosaurus; 29-09-17 at 07:03 PM.

Yeah I thought about the traveling in Europe and kissing was a normal practice. So yeah just ask him out on the last day.