+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Am I a toxic person?

Am I a toxic person?

Sometimes I wonder if I am a bad person for other to be around.

It would explain a lot of things about my love relationships actually. I'm not trying to start a pity party, I am just trying to figure out whether I am toxic or not.

So it started by looking into the behavior of an ex of mine, because I believed him to be emotionally abusive. In my very "scientific" and totally fool proof research, I googled every list of characteristics of toxic people, narcissistic people, psychopaths etc... you name it.

And maybe it's just like when you google a symptom and by the end you convince yourself you have cancer, but a lot of the things stood out to me as being behaviors or traits I definitely had had at some point of repeatedly.

For instance, narcissists love to talk about themselves or just generally hear themselves talk - I am a total Chatty Cathy.
    Toxic people are judgemental - I can judgemental as hell!
    They are inconsistent - I am the queen of inconsistency
    The are followed by drama - I apparently can only process issues in my life by talking about them (to friends, family, colleagues... a pole... anything)
    They lie - I definitely have told lies or omitted stuff. No major stuff, but still...
    They can be superficial and materialistic - guilty, at times

and on and on...

so my question is, basically, where do you draw the line? I can figure out for myself that I don't have a full blown narcissistic disorder or that I'm not a sociopath, but toxic? Maybe I am!
    How do you understand whether having SOME of these behaviors every once in a while makes you a toxic person or not?

Hi elisemies and welcome to Love Forum - Online Relationship Discussion! Hope you enjoy your stay here.
    "Invest wisely and have money work hard for you"

Contact Dr. DUGO on E-mail: dugo_d()yahoo.com, he has the spiritual charm to make everything right back for you. Trust me

Toxic people are those that are detrimental to your own well being. Having that person in your life, becomes more of a burden and stress.

I highly doubt you are. You're on a loveforum for advice afterall. Toxic people generally don't see themselves as a problem.

Maybe you have things you could improve upon, but the things you stated are pretty generalistic. Most people do those things at times.
    This reminds me of horoscopes, broad definitions that anybody can relate to if they look back at specific memories and recollections.

Toxic people, especially narcissists are those that don't take others into consideration.

I think you're being a little too hard on yourself.
    Last edited by GLYC; 08-11-17 at 06:10 AM.