+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I broke it off by text...

I broke it off by text...

Is it okay to ask for a divorce and break off a marriage over text? No, I know it's not.
    This was my reasoning:
    He was VERY abusive in the past and, despite his promises, I didn't feel that he can handle this well in person. He is someone who I married in a very low point in my life and, when he went to prison (he was a drug-dealer), I ghosted him and his family. I ghosted him because he was physically abusive (and a criminal) but I had always felt bad because he and his family took me off the streets spent a lot of money on me in my addiction. Now, 6 sober years later, I have a house and career of my own. Last month, he got work release which lets him out on the weekends. He wasted no time finding me on social media and asked that we talk about our impending divorce. I met up with him and it did NOT go the way I planned. Even though I told him I needed to be alone, he asked me to run some errands for him (social security, etc) and I STUPIDLY agreed. Then, the next weekend, he kept calling about those errands so I talked to him again. And then again the next weekend. Now, he is writing me and saying "I love you".
    I wasn't able to stand up to this guy and announce it was OVER. I tried and failed...now I am almost back to where I started. I thought I could but it turns out that I am still weak and easily manipulated. I guess I still am a work in progress! Anyway, it has been 3 weeks since I let him back into my life. Thankfully, he is on work release still so he is being monitored daily and cannot mess up or he will go back to prison. I know I needed to use this to my advantage and finally end it and I did...by instant messenger. In fact, I wouldn't even answer the repeated phone calls and that's why I feel bad. He texted that it was tasteless to end our marriage over a text. I agreed. Then his response was, "How dare you try to break up with me after all I have done for you!"
    Hmm...how dare I? Exactly, this is the response I would expect from him. Now, he is DEMANDING that I talk to him in person. Honestly, I don't see the point. In fact, I don't see the point in talking to him regularly anymore. I mean, dude, we got married after dating for less than 5 months 6 YEARS AGO! I literally didn't live with him for more than 5 months. At this point, I'm thinking why is he so mad? Why the crazy repeat-calls? We don't even know each other!

That was yesterday. He ended his text with "I will be there at 11."
    Half of me wants to get it over with (but I am scared I will die in the process).
    The other half wants to call the cops if he dare knocks on my door.

I should not give his the 'closure' he says he needs, right?

I don't fault you for breaking it off by text in your situation. Your safety should be the number one concern. Don't meet him 1 on 1 if you don't feel safe. I would either have someone with you that you can trust or go to the police station and explain the situation.

Thank you. Luckily, he didn't try to come by the house. The worst part is over with...now I just have to stand my ground, watch my back on the weekends, and get that divorce!
    Thanks again!

Yup take care. Awesome handle name by the way.

Contact Dr. DUGO on E-mail: dugo_d()yahoo.com, he has the spiritual charm to make everything right back for you. Trust me