+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a quick question

Just a quick question

Hi,
    do you guys think that's ok to buy gifts for a girl who is not my girlfriend?
    (talking about things like; chocolate, teddy bears, jewelry, clothes and etc) or that's more a boyfriend thing?
    and how would you consider a guy who is doing that? just curious to know (I already did that)

It depends how well you know the girl. If you aren't close friends, sending such gifts will send a message that you are interested in them. But if you know each other well, then the gifts can be interpreted as normal friendly gifts.

Don't buy anyone gifts if not dating them or really close friends and it is their bday or Christmas.

I’d consider him gay or friendzone Material most of the time.

Any explenation why do you think it's gay?

Sounds like a bribe to me, don't do it. I'm with [MENTION=85495]CantMoveOn[/MENTION]
    Save that treatment for girlfriends.

Women will just feel uncomfortable from it. Plus, they didnt really earn it yet.

Lol'd at [MENTION=85121]Hooo![/MENTION]

Well would you do that to a random dude you just met? No you would not.
    You do that to either make her in dept to you or because you think your present really suits her
    The latter usually occurs more with gay people since they (generally) notice and concern themselves with that.

Honestly, I kind of think gift like the ones you describe are a bit inappropriate unless you are dating. Things like teddy bears, jewelry, candy, etc. have a definite boyfriend/girlfriend kind of connotation. I mean, sure there are exceptions. Especially if you are very close friends. Like, if your good friend (who happened to be a girl) was in the hospital and you sent her a get well teddy bear.... that I would think would be fine.

I mean, that isn't to say you can't get gifts for your female friends. They should just be more the sort of thing you'd get a friend, not a girlfriend. I guess a good rule of thumb would be to ask yourself if it is the type of gift you'd give a male friend. For example, a movie or a book could be a good gift to give a female friend.... and passed the test of being something you'd probably be just as willing to give to a male friend. On the other hand, give a male friend jewelry or candy or a teddy bear.... he might think you have OTHER ideas. LOL! (Not that there's anything wrong with that for two consenting adults.)

there have very few times in my life where I bought gifts for female friends that I am not interested in or in a relationship. They are all really close friends of mine. An example was one of them tried to commit suicide and it was around her bday, so I sent her flowers even though she lived in a different state. She is like a little sister to me, so it was ok. Our friendship was strong enough where if one of us romantically rejects the other, it would not affect our friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilJester View Post
    Honestly, I kind of think gift like the ones you describe are a bit inappropriate unless you are dating. Things like teddy bears, jewelry, candy, etc. have a definite boyfriend/girlfriend kind of connotation. I mean, sure there are exceptions. Especially if you are very close friends. Like, if your good friend (who happened to be a girl) was in the hospital and you sent her a get well teddy bear.... that I would think would be fine.

I mean, that isn't to say you can't get gifts for your female friends. They should just be more the sort of thing you'd get a friend, not a girlfriend. I guess a good rule of thumb would be to ask yourself if it is the type of gift you'd give a male friend. For example, a movie or a book could be a good gift to give a female friend.... and passed the test of being something you'd probably be just as willing to give to a male friend. On the other hand, give a male friend jewelry or candy or a teddy bear.... he might think you have OTHER ideas. LOL! (Not that there's anything wrong with that for two consenting adults.)
    But how can you make this comparsion? (Female friend to a Male friend)
    I mean, of course I would never buy a teddy bear / jewelry or clothes to any of my male friends.. it just makes no sense.
    I'll tell you my story in short, so maybe this way you will understand where it comes from.
    That's a girl who I know for almost a year and a half now and we used to be really good friends in the past
    (we are still friends but we're having a long distance friendship now [for over 3 months already] and the last time I've seen her was 2 months ago.) So, I've been thinking to surprise her and to give her a little gift from me when we will meet.
    and also, that's not the first time I do that so I'm not worried about it being awkward or anything like that

If your mind is set
    Don’t ask for advice

Quote Originally Posted by Hooo! View Post
    If your mind is set
    Don’t ask for advice
    Where did I ask for advice? I just wanted to hear your opinions about that..
    it has nothing to do with each other, thanks anyway.

Contact Dr. DUGO on E-mail: dugo_d()yahoo.com, he has the spiritual charm to make everything right back for you. Trust me

Quote Originally Posted by InderJoky View Post
    But how can you make this comparsion? (Female friend to a Male friend)

I mean, you are probably right that it isn't a PERFECT comparison. I think you are right that something like jewelry or a teddy bear isn't something you'd generally get a guy anyway....

But, I think it may be the closest rule of thumb on something like this. Some gifts can have a "more than friends" kind of connotation. Think like the sort of things a guy would get a gal on Valentine's Day. Flowers, teddy bears, chocolates, jewelry, etc.

Those have definite date connotations. There is NOTHING wrong with you getting her a gift as a friend.... but I'd just personally NOT recommend something that could have the wrong connotation. But, I will also say that you are perfectly right as well.... If both you and her see nothing wrong with it at all, if she knows you mean it only as a friend so you know you aren't risking giving her the wrong impression, and if she either doesn't have a boyfriend or has one but he doesn't get the wrong impression from it either.... then sure. Do what works for you and that is fine.

Hence why this is only my opinion. But, you were curious for our opinions, so that is mine.

I will say. You're making the classic mistake of being the nice gay guyfriend, assuming you want this woman romantically.
    You searched and found loveforum, and these are your only posts? You made an entire topic on this. So I would assume you do want her.

Make your intentions clear and ask her out already. Forget the gifts.
    Real men go for what they want, if you hesitate, you get auto-rejected.

The problem now though is that she likely already only sees you as a friend at this point.

PS by no means, am I saying it's wrong to have female friends, even beautiful ones, but you do need to be clear in your intent, always, assuming you want more.
    Last edited by GLYC; 08-11-17 at 03:29 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast