+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Age differences - Can it work out?

Age differences - Can it work out?

Age differences - Can it work out?

I’ve joined some of the reputable dating sites like A Foreign Affair, Intl.Cupid and etc... I’ve noticed when browsing through profiles that most women are young. I’m 56 years old and most of the ladies are 15-20 years younger than me. But that did not stop me from getting in contact with the ladies.

Some never responded and some did. One woman stood out the most. I’ve corresponded with her through AFA. She’s 33 years old and from Bangkok, Thailand. Despite our age and cultural differences, I am able to relate with her and enjoy my time writing to her. It’s been months since we started exchanging letters and we’ve started to establish a relationship.

At first, I worried that the 2-decade age gap would make it impossible for things to progress. A lot of people gave me the cold shoulder because of our age-gap and my kids aren’t really happy about it at first. But because they can tell that I’m happy, they’ve accepted my relationship with her.

Now, I’m planning a trip to Bangkok to meet and get to know her more. Hopefully, if things go well, I’d be able to bring her along with me to meet my children.

I still have uncertainties from time to time due to our age differences, but I believe that things can really work out between us. What do you think?

She’s fishing for the rich guys

Joke aside
    You will get to hear stuff like that. So brace yourself
    However it doesn’t matter what we or other people think. It matters what you (and her) want
    And if your happy with the results you get

While the gap difference is large, it's something that can be worked out. I think the important question is will you guys have enough life-time to spend. I know it's morbid question, but it needs to be thought of. For you, it's not issue since she is younger. But is she willing to accept that you most likely leave this world much earlier than she will.

To Hoo's point, even though she may not be fishing for rich guys, she will likely be looking for a better life through this relationship. Your family and friends will think this even if they don't say it.

I think it's better to think things like that after you actually meet her in person. If things really go well and you guys get along, I don't see the problem here. There are even couples with 30-40 ages gap! But I think it's better not to have a big hope here because if either one of you don't feel the same way when you finally meet each other, one party really hurts especially you since you are the one is making an actual plan to be with her.

Anyway, best wishes to you and her and hope that everything works out fine

Age gaps CAN be a problem..... but that doesn't mean they HAVE to be and it doesn't mean the always are. When it comes right down to it, age isn't hugely important if two people just feel they are right for each other. I'll also say this... 56 and 33 is a heck of a lot better than, just as an example, 30 and 18. Hell... 30 and 18 are a lot closer in age numerically.... but an 18 year old is SO much different from a 30 year old. Whereas, for a 56 year old and a 33 year old, you are probably in fairy similar stages of life.

Rather than an 18 year old who may be an adult, but is still very young.... who is maybe still working towards a career.... who maybe doesn't yet know what they want to do with their life.... You are both likely at a point where you are fully adults. You likely have a pretty solid idea of what your life is going to be, of your career, etc. I always feel like the life STAGE is so much more important than the number.

That said, there ARE still very real concerns that you should at least consider. It isn't something to tread into lightly. But, if you two both feel you truly make a good match, and the age difference (and all the possible complications of that gap) don't bother you, then why would you deny yourselves that happiness?

Good luck to you either way.