+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 8 Movie Club review thread of : IT ( new movie and old miniseries)

[MENTION=70280]Jffs24[/MENTION]
    definitely. it was good for what it was but so much was changed, left out or not as good as the original and i am certain the original was done for cheap or what would be considered cheap back then for a tv production. i don't think i would watch this again on tv if it ever shows up for free but whenever the original it movie shows up on tv i always try to view it.
    [MENTION=78654]dollhouse[/MENTION]
    none of the parents or adults in the it universe are worth anything, they are either abusive, neglecting, pedos or aholes. no wonder so mnay kids die and go missing in derry the parents don't give a shit about them.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

Movie was a fun watch. I find it creepy how many women are hot for the new Pennywise killer clown because they think the actor playing him is so hot. It is sort of sick, or maybe that is only my opinion. Same female mentality as women who wanted the Menedez brothers.

[MENTION=70896]Exeter19[/MENTION]... Exactly... the town in itself was a nightmare for kids when parents are either horrible in whatever way or just nonexistent in their lives ( just that in itself will make a kid feel unsafe and then ripe for a psycho creature to prey on them one by one over the decades)... even the police were awful and he got his demise from his own son (town bully) The town was its own character and contributing factor to why Pennywise ruled there for so long, did he make the adults this way or over time it is just how things naturally evolved?

[MENTION=85495]CantMoveOn[/MENTION] ...hahaha... yes, women with Ted Bundy too and a few others. Some women are crazy for men with issues, even killer clowns on the big screen. I think to make a good looking guy play the new Pennywise was done on purpose to get the "It factor, pun intended...haha " to bring in the female moviegoers more, then just some crazy clown, a kid like movie.

Quote Originally Posted by breathe123 View Post
    Was thinking about others who could play the adult versions of the Loser Club ~ what about guy who plays Sheldon on Big Bang Theory as ~ Richie?

Stan, the guy who played Mindy's bf on the Mindy Project ~ Glen Howerton?

Still, want to think of actors who would play Ben & Bill another time. I know people kept saying James Corden for Ben because the young actor looks similar to him but as an adult Ben is no longer fan and supposed to be a ladies man, no? Corden won't work.

- - - Updated - - -

Liked this scene with Beverly and later with IT and caught in his/her/its deadlights?

Ahh, that was my favorite scene of the movie! I loved the atmosphere with his lair, and all the bodies floating around it. So creepy and cool!

---

Also.

Really, women think the Pennywise actor is hot??
    I never knew haha, i know attraction is subjective, but I never totally understand that stuff, i was surprised how many women liked Tom Hiddleson as well.

I always think more of Tom Hardy, Ryan Gosling, etc being more the type women are drawn to

Sorry again, gang. I swear I really want to put together my full review... it's just that is going to take some doing. We are reviewing as well as comparing two movies. So, that may be a bit lengthy and I just have not had the time to even ponder it, much less actually type it out.

I will just say that I LOVED both the original series and the new movie. I am actually surprised by a lot of the negative feelings you all seem to be sharing for the new movie here. It seems like most people really dug the new movie. I've personally heard almost nothing but positive feedback. As it is, I personally love the new movie. I went in feeling like IT was something that really didn't need to be remade... but with an open mind anyway.

I left actually conflicted. ...I MAY actually lean towards thinking the new movie was ever so slightly better. Though, to be completely honest, it isn't exactly a fair comparison. The original was a made for TV mini-series with nowhere even NEAR the special effects we have these days or the budget the new movie had. It was also from a different time when movies were different. So the IT mini-series was right for the time. Had the movie as it was this year been released back then, people may well have hated it and called it "too dark." Again, it was a very different time for movies/TV in general. So, it isn't necessarily an entirely fair comparison to make.

As for Pennywise himself/ITself... I was actually pleasantly surprised by the new Pennywise. When I first saw his new design, I thought he looked much too on the nose scary like they intentionally made him look scary. I thought the original looked so much better because he otherwise just looked like a clown. When I saw the new movie, I was very pleasantly surprised that the new Pennywise worked really well. He was really good. I still lean towards Tim Curry's performance, but the new guy did a great job as well.

The Losers Club in this new movie was great, and I loved their interactions together. But, even there I do lean towards the original. I felt we got more development with them and each of them had more character. We still have a whole second movie to cover the second half of the mini-series, so maybe more to come. But, comparing the first half of the mini-series to the first movie, I felt the gang was more well fleshed out.

Overall, I love both movies and have a hard time deciding which is the better. More so, I just think it is awesome we now have both. That's my quick and dirty review, but I'll add more details as we continue to discuss.

[MENTION=85795]GLYC[/MENTION] ... I know women/girls who find the actor playing Pennywise hot, I don't get it either I much prefer his brother looks wise over him but I think it is just varying tastes.

[MENTION=71386]TheEvilJester[/MENTION] ... I liked the new IT movie but I still prefer the old IT Pennywise over the new one, I think Topazlight hit it on the head with her comment in her first post about not being able to understand him a lot of times. Production on the new IT was 100% better, but I felt some character were underplayed and I didn't like that part of it.

I forgot to say the scene I liked most visually... it's the one where I believe it is Eddie who sees Pennywise with the balloon.

Funny. I don't specifically remember having a hard time understanding him. But, I'll definitely pick the movie up on Blu Ray when it becomes available, so I will have to see if I notice that issue on my next viewing.

Honestly, I think there were things the new movie did better and there were things the original did better. One example (funny enough it was the Nostalgia Critic who made me realize this) the balloons were, I think, used better in the new movie. For some reason, just the fact that thy were all red helped with making them seem more sinister. In the original, Pennywise used all sorts of differently colored balloons, and I think that sort of made it a little silly.

Pennywise in the original was (generally speaking, of course) a little subtler. Which, to me, was good. There were a lot of the scenes in the new movie where I kind of think they just went too big. Some even literally, such as when Pennywise terrorizes the kids by growing really big and chasing them (with that laughably ridiculous run of his) around a garage. I think it was a garage anyway, but I don't recall for sure.

I am definitely the wrong person to ask about this because movies don't scare me.... (I LOVE horror movies even so) But to me I got more of a vibe that the new movie was scarier. The original was sort of more on the cheesey/campy side. Which I ALSO love. And, make no mistake about it, it was also plenty scary. ...Or I mean I think anyway. LOL! Again, I wouldn't be the right person to ask. But, it just seems to be the new one was definitely scarier and not quite as goofy and campy. That doesn't necessarily mean it was better. Again, I still sort of sit on the fence on that decision. Sometimes I lean towards thinking the original is just a little better, sometimes vice versa.

All in all, I think they were both great and I'm glad that we now actually have them both so we can even be having this discussion in the first place.

I was one of the people who was disappointed in the remake/retelling of the book IT. I didn't like the clown as much, or the kids as much, or things they changed, added. I did like Georgie better and how they did his death, much more gruesome and was hoping since this wasn't for TV they would actually HORROR it much much more and much much more gruesome and scary and it just wasn't. I think I will like Part 2 more with the adult retelling over the kids story.
    “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”

i wanted more horror aspects and graphics too. but, i guess this wasn't even listed as a horror movie but a thriller /drama genre so that was probably why it didn't go farther and stayed in a relatively safe lane for the younger crowd it obviously was trying to pull the coins from. i am still eager to watch the next movie and hope they get the casting right when it comes to the kids as adults because if they don't that will ruin the movie for me.

i liked how they did it in the old mini-series using familiar tv faces from the time to play the adults, that was probably what made that a success because people were already used to seeing those actors on their small screen and welcomed them into their homes, and it is a lot harder to make it as personal an experience when on the big screen compared to the little screen.

hoping there will be no chris pratt in the next installment as any of the characters, rather not go that way.

- - - Updated - - -

also, i liked the humor of the old version and would have liked more of that in this one, some of the kids had some humor but obviously they wanted to stamp this a different it movie and make people forget about the original pennywise.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by GLYC View Post
    Ahh, that was my favorite scene of the movie! I loved the atmosphere with his lair, and all the bodies floating around it. So creepy and cool!

---

Also.

Really, women think the Pennywise actor is hot??
    I never knew haha, i know attraction is subjective, but I never totally understand that stuff, i was surprised how many women liked Tom Hiddleson as well.

I always think more of Tom Hardy, Ryan Gosling, etc being more the type women are drawn to
    Hi, [MENTION=85795]GLYC[/MENTION] ~ There were some really cool shots in the new IT movie, some really beautiful which seems weird to say for what type of film it was hehehe.

I don't think that actor is hot, I agree with you & would say Gosling over him too.

I watched both movies by now but went away for a susrprise trip, makes me think my bf reads here hehe so didn't write up for dual review yet but will before the new year.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Back to add some more of my IT insight, haha....

I think the book, mini-series and now the new film are the same in a lot of ways, and different in a lot of ways starting from King's book, and others. I think Bill is kept the same, but I think when it comes to graphic content, the book and the new IT film match a lot more than it does with the mini-series which as I think was explained above had to be tamer because was made for TV and censors ruled even more back then so a lot of the more nasty themes of the book and new IT film could not be shown or explored. Mike is the same in the book and miniseries ...but changed in the film, why? He was the keeper of archives.... The clowns to me are very different.... one for chuckles, for frights in the film... The miniseries crammed the two parts together where the film is now making two different movies on this... I prefer this tbh. Beverly's sexuality is more in the book and more in the film or mini series... Racism seems less in film, or I thought so?????? Also, why the dancing clown? I didn't find he danced in the movie, did he? Both is about fears in childhood and explored the same to me only more graphic in the film because they can get past censors unlike on tv unless HBO etc.... Pennywise is more shape-shifting in the other two over what we get to see in the movie, how come since the movie can and could be done so MUCH more visually and yet really didn't... I am hoping the next installment really horrors this franchise up and doesn't shy away from things that I think the mini series and even the movie 1st one did.

I agree with you on almost all you typed above. I actually have to say I enjoyed the mini-series clown for his personality but also preferred the movie IT clown for his more horror feel. I equally did NOT like either of their costumes, mini series Pennywise was basically a circus clown ( on the cheap) and Pennywise movie clown was in a dress?
    “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”

lmao - i didn't like the look of the new pennywise either ( costume and face makeup) I did like the red eyes though, but the old pennywise clown always reminded me of ronald mcdonald.
    William Blake

Hehehehe ^^^^^^^^^^

(≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast