+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I have an interview soon...

I have an interview soon...

...and i'm so ****ing nervous!

cool. where?

In Boston. I'm excited about the journey, but not about the 30 minute interview. I'm so nervous.

I have a speech problem (I think). I stutter and don't have any personality. I'm monotone, and boring. I don't know what my strengths or weaknesses really are.

I can't think of three words that descirbe me, maybe:

Kind
    Caring
    Compassonate
    Team-Player
    Goal-Oriented
    Motivated
    Diverse

Which three would you choose for a health care professional? Any others you can think of?

Question:

if you have an interview, and are asked questions, how do you respond?

Do you speek from the tip of your tongue and let things naturally flow,

or

Do you think about the question, and be 'calculated', by pausing to think about what you are going to say after each sentence, and then executing...

i like the second method - but is it bad if i talk slowly, and look like i'm doing too much thinking?

for some reason, i can't talk fast and/or think fast.

i need to be slow, and think/process what i'm about to say, and then say it slowly so that i don't sound like an idiot...

...this is in an interview setting...

so, what do you think? should this be okay? is this how you all would approach an interview?

what are some advice? except being confident and all.....what else to relieve pressure and sound good?

???????

I would say the best approach is to "be yourself". You want to be hired for your true qualities, of course. Put on your best smile and your best shoes... and GO FOR IT!

Good luck

Yea i agree with the above. Be yourself RSK. Besides, you'll feel weird if you're putting on some sort of act.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

i am rsk, i logged off, and forgot my password, because i've never logged off before, and everytime i come to lf, i am allready logged on..........****!

oh well, i remember tronomono's passward, because it's the same as 'other' passwords.

thanks asip4u and indy:

but even when i'm 'myself' - i tend to stutter a lot.

i don't want to pull of an act, and i 'want' to be myself. but is it okay to be the way i described above? - to talk slowly, and think about what i will say - and then execute?

thanks

Sure! You will either get the job... or you wont - and if the latter, know there is something better out there that is perfect for you!

About the stuttering - I am assuming you do this out of nervousness, and so I suggest you try to calm yourself down a bit by taking a deep breath before you answer a question. It is okay to tell the interviewer you are a bit nervous, and that simple act might put you a bit more at ease. Also, I think it is okay to qualify your answers with an "off the top of your head" kind of statement. Make sense?

Don't want to insult your intelligence, RSK, but this might be useful: [url]http://www.essayedge.com/medical/admissions/interview.shtml[/url].

As to stuttering: I believe you'll find in your case that it's an effect of your mind moving too far ahead of your mouth. Turn off all your mental back-burners and focus only on the one (idea) burning in front. Don't "answer." Respond. Don't let them set the "pace" of the interview entirely. Use pauses to set the timing which is comfortable for you. They'll adjust. They want to hear what you have to say. Don't be in a hurry to reply. Wait a beat or two before replying. All the while keeping eye contact with each of them in turn. In the "good old days", one could light a pipe and puff it thoughtfully as a cover for gathering his wits. These days, one only has a steady gaze to lean upon. Adopt a comfortable position in your seat and REMAIN there. That is: Avoid any fidgeting or unneccessary movements. Fold your hands in your lap in a gentlemanly manner and keep them there. Do not lean casually on anything. Not even your elbows. You want to project in your posture and demeanor a capacity to weild authority. Authority does not fidget. Does not look (shy) away. Does not waste resources on uselessness. Everything you do should be economical. Your movements. Your speech. All of it. Be congenial, but be direct. Once you've committed to a statement, don't have any second thoughts about it and then try to waffle if you feel any insecurities. (Insecurities are on one of the back burners.) And Remember: They invited you. You have just as much right to be there as they do. They're contemplating showing you how to become one of their colleaques. That alone should be enough for you to have every confidence in yourself. Good luck, buddy!
    Speak less. Say more.

Tone Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tronomono
    i am rsk, i logged off, and forgot my password, because i've never logged off before, and everytime i come to lf, i am allready logged on..........****!
    LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RSK
    I stutter and don't have any personality
    LIES!!

If you be yourself, they will see you have a GREAT personality! RK, you will do just fine, believe in yourself - we all do.

Just don't feel rushed RSK. Remember, someone has allotted 30 minutes of their day to speaking with YOU. You don't have to squeeze in quickly and try to fly through an explanation of yourself. Take your time. Try thinking about what you will say before speaking it. This could help with the stuttering. And it will show thoughtfulness on your part. Big time. If they can't recognize that, then you don't want to be working for them anyhow.

You seem like a pretty cool guy, I'm sure you'll knock their socks off. Good luck.
    Sniff first, then scratch.

If it isn't going well just jump up on his/her desk, drop trou and pinch a loaf. Then hop off swing open the door and yell "now THAT'S real ultimate power!!!" and leave. It's better than taking vitamins.
    Heit ist mein taug.

RSK>> really in boston??

you could chill with me.

give me a call when you get here. how about i pm you my number.
    "Ogres are like onions."

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RSK
    In Boston. I'm excited about the journey, but not about the 30 minute interview. I'm so nervous.
    Best of luck. Boston is where I went to school, so you're interviewing at either Harvard, BU, or Tufts. I hope you make it; they're all excellent. And Boston is an awesome place to go to school!

Re nervous. A little is good. Take a deep breath b/f you go in. And just be yourself.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast