+ Follow This Topic

Thread: After 20 years of marriage, and divorce, I'm falling in love but is he?

After 20 years of marriage, and divorce, I'm falling in love but is he?

I'm 42. I got a divorce a year and a half ago, after 20 years of marriage due to my ex's heavy drinking and gambling habits. I have two grown up daughters that live with me.
    After the divorce I joined a few social groups to go out more, meet people and do something nice for myself. My ex's controlling behavior limited my social life greatly in the past. I feel like I woke up after years of sleeping.
    In my language study group I met a guy that I became attracted to immediately. Our group meets several times a month to study together, but there are only a few regulars, most people come to those meet ups once in a while. I met that guy a couple of times, talked a little, but we didn't really have much one on one interaction. He seemed very shy around me but not shy around other women. He is 8 years younger than me, too. Things changed recently. About 4 months ago I went to a Japanese dance festival wearing traditional Japanese clothing and didn't have time to change, went to the language study group right after that. He's Japanese and I have an interest in Japanese culture. He approached me after the study and we went for a walk, and had a nice conversation. Then he started to show up every time I signed up and always sit across from, or next to me, asking me questions about my interests, how I spend my free time, about my personal life. I asked him questions too and we got to know each other. For the past two months we have been meeting in the same social group about once a week. Every time he asked me questions about my plans for the weekend, plans for holidays and I answered that I have something small to do, not to seem boring, but the rest of the weekend is pretty much open. I was hoping he will ask me out but he never did. Last weekend I wanted to check up a new bookshop. I mustered courage and sent him a text if he wants to check it out with me. He texted back that he "will be happy to". We met at the book shop and we both acted a bit awkward, just us, alone for the first time. After we left the store I said that I would like to get coffee and asked about his plans. He said that he will hang out with me. We went to a coffee shop and spent 2 hours there talking, laughing and drinking coffee, and looking deep into each other's eyes. Then we walked for a little around the neighborhood. It was getting late and we wanted to grab some Mexican food but didn't find any. We ended up in front of Whole Foods and I said I might as well get a few groceries, as my daughter has food allergies and I can find some foods for her only at Whole Foods. I also got myself something to eat, but he didn't want anything. We sat at the table as I was eating my food and he was watching me eating. I felt awkward, haven't finished my food and said that I'm done and we can go. We went out of the store and he asked me if I had any ideas for the rest of the afternoon or we should call it a day. I said that I don't really know that neighborhood but I'm in no rush to go home if he knows of some place to go. He said that it's getting late and dark and he needs to prepare for work and the business trip he has that week. We walked a little, got to the crossing and parted our ways as we took buses in different directions. I said it was nice to spend a day with him, he just said "see ya". Not even a hug. I was hoping to get a message from him this week but nothing came I know he came back from his business trip yesterday. Today I saw he signed up for the study group meet up this weekend, I wasn't signed for that one. I was signed for the following week.
    I don't know if he is trying to give me a sign that he is not interested anymore. I'm so new to this. The last person I dated was my ex husband over 20 years ago and I was very young then. I am so confused, I don't want to look desperate or like a stalker by contacting him first again, or coming to the same meet ups. I'm Caucasian, originally from Europe, and he is a shy Asian guy, so there's a cultural difference. I'm 42, with a live baggage, he is 34. Am I even kidding myself that there's a possibility of a relationship here?

Nothing points whether he is or isn't interested. I don't think you should be concern about being too aggressive. Just go sign up for the same meetup class and see if you two can hangout again.

hello dude
    last time we met you didnt really seem interested
    I would like to see you again and spend some time with you
    however im worried of being a little agressive towards that.
    Thats why I thought id let you know.
    If you think I am insulting you with my post or bashing you: You do not get the point.
    I am not here to insult or bash anyone. I offer up my free time to help. Take from my post what is useful to you.
    If you are angry about my post or myself, then please stop and think how that happened. Usually that is the way the brain responds if a critical belief system is challenged (its called cognitive dissonance). If you have trouble with it please answer in the thread. I will come back to you.

Thank you for your advice! I went yesterday to the language class and met him again. After the class he asked me if I wanted to eat something and we ended up getting Mexican food, and then going for a drink. It was great! We spent several hours talking and getting to know each other. He is a bit shy but starting to open up slowly. We discovered we like the same music, and we might go to a concert together. He said: "it was fun" when we parted around 8 pm. We will probably meet again this week, fingers crossed.

However, once you fell in love with another person than your spouse, things got rather intense. You’re already in what some refer to as an emotional affair. Perhaps you’ve gone further and the relationship has turned physical. So my point is that every force have an equal and opposite reaction. I am sure that he also loves you so you take some advice from Astrologer Babaji and talk to him with a confidence he will defiantly convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Belle View Post
    Thank you for your advice! I went yesterday to the language class and met him again. After the class he asked me if I wanted to eat something and we ended up getting Mexican food, and then going for a drink. It was great! We spent several hours talking and getting to know each other. He is a bit shy but starting to open up slowly. We discovered we like the same music, and we might go to a concert together. He said: "it was fun" when we parted around 8 pm. We will probably meet again this week, fingers crossed.
    Yeah I knew hes interested in you since he was shy. Anyway maybe invite him over your place and watch movies together when theres just you two. Sit close to him and maybe he will man up for a kiss.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will