+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My boyfriend's parents don't want us to get married

My boyfriend's parents don't want us to get married

Hello everyone.
    I'm sorry if this is long, but please read it, I really need help.
    My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years now, (he's the only boyfriend I ever had) and we have been seriously thinking of getting married by the end of next year until all of a sudden I was informed few days ago (on my birthday / our anniversary) by him that we can't do it because his parents don't approve of me, they think their kid should be with someone who is a little more curvy, blonde, and tall and comes from a very well known family (which I'm not at all), and they also want grand children and it's hard for me because I have fertility issues. I wasn't chocked that much because I've always felt that his mom doesn't like me but what chocked me is knowing that he had hid from them the fact that we're together, and they only see me as his best friend so they were just warning him of not developing the relationship to the point of falling in love because that's not going to lead anywhere (when in fact, we've been in love for 3 years), I tried to play it very calm and asked what should we do now, he said he suggests we become close friends because that's safer for the moment and also because he wants to remain in contact with me since I have some medical issues going on, this is the second thing that chocked me. I agreed on what he said because he left me no other choice, but I am very hurt and confused. And now he's saying he's leaving the country to have a master's degree and work abroad, which he never brought up before. Please note that I had let go of a lot of opportunities just because we were getting married (which he doesn't know about).
    What do you guys think ? Please help me out.

He's pretty secretive. He is your first boyfriend and your first love, but maybe he is not the one. Think about it, he hides from his parents that you're dating, says you guys should become friends because of what his parents say, then when you guy are friends it hits you on the face that he is leaving the country. I guess the studying abroad issue is something that happens to couples and it still works out, but it's how he agrees with his parents. He is following everything his parents say, but if he really wanted to marry you he could have tried harder. I've known plenty of people who have gone against their parent's wishes to be with somebody, including me. You should have also told him the things lost in planning your marriage, you seem to be accepting everything he does, but you have feelings too and you need to let him know that. Hopefully it works out!!

This forum is NOT going to help you with this issue. No offense, this is just too serious of an issue of the heart to make public. Ask the universe!
    I'm no prude...just saying. Visit my tumblr:
    HTML Code:
    livechatters.tumblr.com