+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Was this coworker making a move on me?

Was this coworker making a move on me?

A little confused here and seeking clarification. I started a new job a month ago and have been talking with one of my coworkers.
    The other day it was late afternoon, office was kind of feeling empty, and I was preparing to leave. We were at my cubicle talking about work and I was wrapping up. I was holding a set of books (2 wide books and not heavy at all) and I was trying to set them on the desk however I was having trouble because the desk had way too many papers, pens, etc all over the place. He tried to help me but he did it in an odd way, which is why I am posting this. He placed his hand underneath one of my hands, I guess to help with the weight of the books, thereby making skin to skin contact while with his other hand, he tried to clear the space. It was a good long 3-5 seconds.

I said nothing and continued about my things and left however the incident did leave me confused. He could have grabbed another part of the books where my hand was not already there or he could have simply helped by clearing the space.

Without saying much else, what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by espacio2017 View Post
    A little confused here and seeking clarification. I started a new job a month ago and have been talking with one of my coworkers.
    The other day it was late afternoon, office was kind of feeling empty, and I was preparing to leave. We were at my cubicle talking about work and I was wrapping up. I was holding a set of books (2 wide books and not heavy at all) and I was trying to set them on the desk however I was having trouble because the desk had way too many papers, pens, etc all over the place. He tried to help me but he did it in an odd way, which is why I am posting this. He placed his hand underneath one of my hands, I guess to help with the weight of the books, thereby making skin to skin contact while with his other hand, he tried to clear the space. It was a good long 3-5 seconds.

I said nothing and continued about my things and left however the incident did leave me confused. He could have grabbed another part of the books where my hand was not already there or he could have simply helped by clearing the space.

Without saying much else, what are your thoughts?

Thanks!
    He was helping you with the weight of the books and to do that, he had to put his hand under them. I don't see any reason to think he did anything flirty or otherwise.

3 to 5 seconds of him doing this isn't an extended period of time.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Let’s say he was making a move on you, what would that mean for you and how would you behave towards him?
    What would it mean for you and how would you behave if it wasn’t?

So we do get a lot of these is s/he making a move on me questions. While that's a valid question, it's not really that important.

Do you like this guy? If you don't, it doesn't matter if was trying to make a move on you.
    If you do like him, then the question is how you can let him know you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by madotnw_nihs View Post
    So we do get a lot of these is s/he making a move on me questions. While that's a valid question, it's not really that important.

Do you like this guy? If you don't, it doesn't matter if was trying to make a move on you.
    If you do like him, then the question is how you can let him know you are interested.
    I absolutely concur. That and I will also add that VERY often the answer to these questions of is he or she trying to make a move/hit on me/etc. is a great big resounding... "We can't tell." None of us having been there, none of us being him, none of us being you, we can't know that. (Well, one of us is you because you are you, but we're not you because you're you, we're not you. Understand? :-P LOL!)

We can't really tell because there isn't enough information for us to make that judgment call. Maybe he was flirting. Maybe he was just being nice. We don't know. So, I'll echo (Echo! Echo!) madotnw's sentiments. If you aren't interested in him in that way... well then who really cares if he was trying to hit on you (unless it continues and you have to politely tell him no thank you). On the other hand, if you are interested in him in that way, why bother to speculate? Just ask him out yourself. Or start trying to do a little subtle flirting and see if he responds in kind. Or any number of other ways you can try to indicate your interest.

Good luck to you either way.