+ Follow This Topic

Thread: She's older than me by a few years. Is it okay to date?

She's older than me by a few years. Is it okay to date?

I met a girl on LoveMe that I really like but the problem is that she’s a few years my senior. Perhaps seven to eight years older. Some people frown upon a May-December affair which is unfortunate for my situation. What I want to know is if it’s okay to date someone older, despite what the majority of people would say.

I’m not usually the type to fall to stereotypes and demands of society but I also don’t want for my girlfriend to get judged in daily basis. I want her to feel comfortable and proud of our relationship. She says she’s okay with our age gap but I know she’s also worried for me too.

My parents tell me that if I’m happy with her then I can go through with the relationship. They don’t mind about her being older. Even my sister who’s about the same age as my girl is okay with it. However, they are telling me to think it through properly because I might be confusing sisterly love to actual affection.

I need advice from others on how to deal with this situation. Should try it out and ignore the judgements of others? Is it okay to date her? It’s not like she’s twice my age. There’ just a significant number between us. What do I do?

It sounds like you have already set the relationship up for doom as your topic is her age instead of her as a person. She is the one that should not date you...not the other way around.

age is just a number. i am 33 and am dating a guy nineteen and another one that is fifty-five. i am enjoying both relationships and never even think about their age or mine.

the only situation is your errorous assumption that the majority of people care the age of the person you date. this situation you have created will harm any possibility of a good relationship because you will react to it physically and verbally. your potential partner will recognize that and end contact with you in short order.