+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Therapy

Therapy

Circle made a comment that mirrored some of my own thoughts in a recent post: It's been a form of intense therapy that I really needed. Just to voice myself, be heard, get some feedback. - speaking specifically of this forum here at LF.

I'm 32, so I've done therapy before in the form of marriage counseling, a personal counselor, co-dependent support group (man, that was a long time ago! lol) - even a psychiatrist. The latter as a referral so that I could get a prescription while dealing with an incredible situation during my last pregnancy.

I'm sure there are good therapists and counselors etc out there, but I havent run into any of them personally. I find them to be kind of like friends or lovers - you have to meet quite a few before you find one that's a match for you (that makes you feel comfortable enough to open up, and is willing to go at your pace, etc).

I found LF to be a form of therapy too - as Circle stated. But once I really dug in to the details... and was faced with deeper issues... I seriously considered finding a therapist or counselor to speak to about it. The thought of it alone brought many tears yesterday...

I'm curious what everyone's take is on seeing a therapist, counselor, psychologist or psychiatrist. Have you done this in the past? Did you find it useful or helpful? Or do you prefer to work your problems out here at LF among friends?
    Last edited by independent; 31-10-05 at 08:10 PM.

I never saw a therapist, counselor, psychologist or a psychiatrist. I read articles on psychology, study various disorders and symptoms and do a lot of self reflection and self analyses.

Over the years I have managed to identify various areas (Both positives and negatives) that complete the mental picture and foundation of what I view as self. That which i do not already know I find out in due processes of my everyday experience. This porcess has helped me to identify my strengths and weaknesses, personal requirements for hapiness and my anticipated reaction to certain situations (E.g. I know when a relationship should not be pursued on the grounds of inherent incompatibillities that are bound to cause severe problems in the future with a certain type of people). I view positive mental health status as a crucial part of personal well being.

This website is a great learning experience and a rare insight into experience of other people going through similar situations in life as myself and situations I have never experienced (But may experience some day in the future)
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

I think therapy is good for those who really need it, but I would be careful about becoming a therapy addict. Some of the patients never seem to be able to accept that a certain amount of discomfort comes with life, and never try to resolve (or accept their inability to resolve) an issue on their own. Taken to excess, I think therapy can be a form of self-indulgence, and a way to deflect responsibility for having to take difficult actions.

Rosebud is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    When I was younger I was in and out of therapists only for the mere factor that I could manipulate them to believeing what I was saying. I would tell them how I felt but I would use reverse paychology on them instead of listening to what they had to say and following through with them. I did that until I found one of them that could see right through me. She opened my eyes to a lot of things I didn't know about myself and some that i did and didn't think anyone esle saw. She got me to understand a lot about myself and to be able to recognize why I did the things I did. Since then, I haven't seen one in a long time but I still remember what she had said to me and I learned a lot from her.
    I think they are good when you can be hoenst with them and take what they say to heart and actually look within yourself. But you also have to be willing to see yourself and make the changes yourself instead of relying on others to do it for you.
    If you can't handle the thorns, don't crave the rose!!

Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    I think therapy is good for those who really need it, but I would be careful about becoming a therapy addict. Some of the patients never seem to be able to accept that a certain amount of discomfort comes with life, and never try to resolve (or accept their inability to resolve) an issue on their own. Taken to excess, I think therapy can be a form of self-indulgence, and a way to deflect responsibility for having to take difficult actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud
    But you also have to be willing to see yourself and make the changes yourself instead of relying on others to do it for you.
    Both really good messages... I would certainly agree.

I feel as if I have gotten to the point of being able to analyze my thoughts and processes - am open to self examination and willing to fix and change as necessary. (at the moment probably more afraid of delving in than unwilling or unable)

I can honestly say that LF has been one of best experiences in regards to "therapy" of any type.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's always good to be able to hear and dicuss problems from peers that aren't profiting on what you have to say. nothing against therapists at all but I think talking to people that can give you advice based on own experiences are a very good method of therapy. I think you are willing as well Independent and that's very good. A lot of Poeple on LF have differnet views on things and that helps as well. There are also a lot of books out there that you can read on self-help that are very good as well.

Yes, I have some good ones on my shelf I might knock the dust off of

It is good to talk to others on here, but I wouldn't listen to all of the advice.

Tone Guest
    What Junsui? Why not? I want to be able to give a girl 10 orgasms and have sex for four hours too!

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tone
    What Junsui? Why not? I want to be able to give a girl 10 orgasms and have sex for four hours too!
    lol I thought you already did?

Tone Guest
    Oh yea yea yea of course...

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Oh geesh! Sounds like somebody else I know on here!!!

shhh----"but I would be careful about becoming a therapy addict"

Just like the protagonist in the movie Fight Club. He starts attending all sorts of therapy groups everyday of the week. Extreme.

Independent----"I'm curious what everyone's take is on seeing a therapist, counselor, psychologist or psychiatrist. Have you done this in the past? Did you find it useful or helpful?"

Haven't tried any of the above, though I did talk to a priest on several occasions. It was very helpful.

I found my matching psychiatrist and he is the only one that has the answers to why I am the way I am. I found him by walking near a mirror and looking at it.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast