+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Religion vs love

Religion vs love

Hello all,

a friend of mine just got dumped by his girlfriend due to some um... religious problems. He's an atheist and his girl is a christian but apparently christians aren't suppose to date non-christians... why? I'm just asking and I don't mean any offence. Many people get so heated up when I say these kinda things... Why can't christians love non-christians?

If you're going to heaven would you want to be with someone who's going to hell? That would suck.
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

Because Christians believe they are going to Heaven and non-believers aren't, and who would want to get emotionally involved with someone who is going to Hell? Besides, the unbeliever may negatively influence the believer. I think it is best to avoid significant religious differences.

And no, I am not a Christian.

well... I'm not a christian so I don't know about that. But as far as I know, even for christians who goes to heaven, everybody would be "brothers" and "sisters" up there. Its not like they're gonna still be husband and wife or something. SO why bother?

I dont know where you got that impression. I'm not deeply religious but I've never heard any details on being sister, brother, husband etc
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

Ok, I'm Christian and have dated two atheists. I'm not as big into the religion as some might be, so I don't know her circumstances. Coming from different religions can cause problems in a relationship. My exes and I used to argue about it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by TAVS
    I dont know where you got that impression. I'm not deeply religious but I've never heard any details on being sister, brother, husband etc
    I think he's refering to how we're all God's children, so that would make us brothers and sisters.

Bring on the incest!

lol Spiritual brothers and sisters!

but junsui, normally what do you and your ex argue about? :p Do you think religion play a big role especially if you're very religious?

Obviously if you are very religious, religion will play a big role. One of the top five reasons for divorce is religion. We would argue about topics related to religion lol.

wow... remind me not to get a christian girl ever... :p hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Junsui
    Obviously if you are very religious, religion will play a big role. One of the top five reasons for divorce is religion. We would argue about topics related to religion lol.
    religion is very important in a relationship ... heck ... thats kinda why me and my Gf are breaking up now ... well its her family .

yes it is true about christians that when they go to heaven apparently they will all be brothers and sisters . i know because i was recently christian and i did read the bible from time to time (very rarely ) , even if i wasnt that religious , i was searching for answers and my ex (being also a christian ) told me that was true .

Quote Originally Posted by TAVS
    Read Jesus's words to John the Apostle and Mary as he was dying on the cross.
    Speak less. Say more.

Being Christian has nothing to do with it. It's having a strong belief in your own religion and lack of tolerance for others having their own beliefs. We didn't argue because I thought I was always right, it was more him trying to prove how my belief was wrong. I don't care what others believe in, I just don't like when people try to force their beliefs on others. It is usually easier when two people in a relationship share the same belief, not that it's impossible if they don't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast