+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I need advice on dating a woman that has a child.

I need advice on dating a woman that has a child.

I met this amazing lady through A Foreign Affair. She’s a 28 y/o Filipina with a 5-year-old daughter. We are still at the stage of getting to know each other and have been corresponding at least 3 times a day.

Everything is going really well between us but I am a little taken aback by her daughter. I don’t mind dating someone with a child at all as long as I know there won’t be any problems with the “other party.”

That’s where I need advice… she did open up about having a daughter, what she does for a living and her family, but she never opened up about the father of her child. I need to have an assurance that there won’t be any problems when things become serious between us.

The father of her child will always be a big part of her daughter’s life. I’m willing to compromise with that, but I need there to be boundaries.

I most certainly don’t want to suddenly get involved in something that may eventually become unpleasant.

I like her enough to want to know about these things. Before things between us become serious, I want to know where I’ll be getting at. Am I rushing things?

I’d like to meet her in person as soon as possible. I’m a little skeptical about months long of only exchanging letters.

I want to get a hint of assurance and start from there… I really need advice. Help me!

Why don’t you meet up first and decide?

Mate, if she had had sex with loads of men but didn't have a child would you feel weird about that??? The kids dad has nothing to do with your relationship with her. No more than any ex would, anyway. Loads of people have this sort of issue but to me it is ridiculous. Are you an only child by any chance? You cant have had many kids in your life.

I think the questions and feelings you have about this are valid and reasonable. Have you talked to her at all about how you feel? Maybe she hasn't brought it up because she's not sure how. Wishing you all the best~