+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I'm (60/f) at my wits end and loss of faith with my bf (65/m) and totally depressed

I'm (60/f) at my wits end and loss of faith with my bf (65/m) and totally depressed

Been with same man for 5 years and during that time, always concerned about his financial judgement and lack of resources. We are in love BUT this issue seems to never get resolved. He lost his job (which didn't pay much) 7 months ago and just ran out of unemployment; now he can start to collect social security. He realizes he needs another job even part time to make ends meet since he has only a modest amount of savings (which came from an inheritance) but he finally got a job a few months ago, and he gave it up because he said it was too hard to make money and he was waiting on a substitute teacher job which he believed he was getting; HOWEVER, he has a conviction for a money crime from several years ago so the school eventually turned him down. I suppose because of this and his age, getting a job is a real uphill battle. I've tried to help in any way I can; getting him to follow through on jobs and moving forward, but he is now applying to be a LYFT driver and that is dragging on a bit as well. Further, I did research and being a LYFT driver won't bring in too much money after expenses (about $10/hour). He says it's only temporary until he can get a better part time job to supplement his social security. I've already waited 7 months; I'm at the end of my rope; should I cut my losses? I can't see living with him unless he gets his act together but I don't want to give up if I'm being unreasonable. I have waited and waited to no avail.
    What thoughts or advice can you offer?

Why don’t you see him in a better light? In a more positive way?

Alternatively you can summon the courage to leave?

Why is money such a big issue??? Can he cook up a nice pot noodle?