+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How to stay safe while in Thailand? Tips please

How to stay safe while in Thailand? Tips please

I’m travelling to Thailand in three weeks for a romance tour. I’ve heard friends giving me warnings to take care of myself while staying there. They said it’s a nice place but it’s still my first time visiting Asia so I should be careful. Now, I need tips on how to stay safe while in the country.

Are there particular things that I should be aware of? What are the common negative things that happen to tourists there that I might encounter? I need to know this ahead because I don’t want something bad to happen to me while in there.

I’ve already read some blogs and other posts about their experience. It was a mix of good and bad reviews. I need other details though that I have to keep in mind. Is there any guide someone can recommend to me? I need more information. I only have three weeks left to prepare.

Here is to hoping this isn't spam.

So I've stayed in Thailand for a couple months on vacation. It is absolutely gorgeous and I had a blast. As with most SE Asia, it's very different than the US. The bottom line is have fun and engage with the people there.
    But at the end, use common sense and protect yourself.

1. Be careful of prostitutes because they are super aggressive. I did become friends while I was there with a couple of them. If they speak English, talk to them and they have amazing different perspective on life. If you chat up with a ladyboy, it's very interesting when discussing that topic.

2. Things are polluted. Don't visit dirty beaches because it's filled with bacteria. I won't go into details, but I almost became blind after an encounter.

3. Pull out the GPS, tuk-tuk or taxi can take you for a spin. They may also bring to brothels.

4. Always watch your drinks and food

5. Look before you cross traffic even with green light.

6. Stay away from drugs. Unless you want to end up like Claire Danes in Brokedown palace.

Sadly, the first sentence gives away their motive - "romance tour ". These people have been posting this for a long while, wonder if they post on the bigger relationship websites or only here because no one ever removes it. SMH!
    “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”

My entire family was murdered while traveling abroad on a Romance Tour. Now, I'm on a mission, to seek revenge on their killer.

I don't normally reply to romance tours, but ehhh, felt like writing something here. Strangely a poster did respond to a romance tour thread, which was surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by madotnw_nihs View Post
    I don't normally reply to romance tours, but ehhh, felt like writing something here. Strangely a poster did respond to a romance tour thread, which was surprising.
    Its likely a scam. They're well thought out responses, not just bot responses, likely to entice someone to join them.

You go to the website, they steal your information/SSN/Credit card, etc. Or you just wire them $1500 or whatever, and wallah.

There's no way this couldn't be. I've been here for probably 7- 8 months. Never heard talk about a Romance Tour/A Foreign Affair until recently.

Thailand is a nice country. I hope if you go there, you'll enjoy your stay. All the best...