+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Calling off our engagement. Telling her parents?

Calling off our engagement. Telling her parents?

My girlfriend and I agreed on getting married about six months ago. I came over to Cebu for a romance tour and recently came back the second time. It was then that I proposed to her to which she said yes.

However, in the span of time that we invested on planning the wedding, we both realized that we were rash on our decisions. So, we both agreed to call off our engagement for the meantime.

What we’re worried about now is how to break it to her parents. I don’t how Filipino traditions work. Her parents might not allow us to get married next time if we tell them now that we called off our engagement. We could always say that we’re delaying the whole wedding but wouldn’t we be lying to her parents? I need some advice on what to do.

Wow, you guys really ****ed things up. Just have to deal with the consequences of her parents not liking you. But you can always explain it to them and if its a mutual decision to call it off, I don't see how they can get mad at you. I mean if their daughter doesn't want to get married to you right now, its their daughter's decision. But...if its mostly your decision, then they will see this as lack of commitment on your part.

Mistakes do happen especially with huge decisions such as marriage. It was a mutual agreement but we're still trying to sort things out. Thanks for the advice! Much appreciated