+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Define 'smothering'

Define 'smothering'

What's the difference between 'smothering' and 'clingy' and 'attentative' and 'devoted?'

I know that there are no easy answers and it varies with each person/relationship, but where's the line you step over?

Examples: I've had some girls run because 'I've smothered them.' Then I've had some girls run or get hurt because I pull back to give them 'space' for fear of smothering them.

Does it just depend upon the two people involved? Some people like a lot of attention and can't get enough of it while others become scared of it and run for their lives.

Opinions?

Tone Guest
    Hmm, good question.

I think.... the simple fact of being aware of... and taking measures NOT to be a smotherer means you're in pretty good shape. Since I think in most cases the person doing the smothering is usually completely oblivious to their actions, as they think they are just being a good boyfriend/girlfriend by giving their partner all their attention.

But to answer your question more, like you said - it does depend on the two involved. If you guys are very open and honest with one another, you should know when you're gettin on one another's nerves and need to kinda back off for a bit.

I dunno.

Yes, it varies from relationship to relationship

AS it has already been said it depends on the people involved. But an open dialogue between the two people is the only way to prevent it.
    *MaJiK*

There are not many things I fear in life, but disappointing you is my greatest.

I love you even with your flaws... I love you because of your flaws.

Tone Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by blackiesharley
    Some people like a lot of attention and can't get enough of it while others become scared of it and run for their lives.
    Find out which one of the above she is.

My guess is somewhere in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiesharley
    What's the difference between 'smothering' and 'clingy' and 'attentative' and 'devoted?' Opinions?
    They're all part of one spectrum of regard for another person. At the "smothering" end, one's regard compels the other person to disrespect themselves. At the other end, it supports and advances their respect for themselves
    Speak less. Say more.