+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you think getting marriage under 18 is good

Quote Originally Posted by smackie09 View Post
    It boils down to women have more rights, and opportunity to be financially independent, oh and birth control. Women don't have that dependency on a man to take care of them anymore.
    True. And I think it's just a different modern day culture, religion isn't as prevalent in today's society, which places less emphasis on marriage. Furthermore, with the internet, you have such a vast access to different people and opportunities for both sexes. A person can literally go on a dating website and contact a hundred different people if they feel like it.

Quote Originally Posted by GLYC View Post
    True. And I think it's just a different modern day culture, religion isn't as prevalent in today's society, which places less emphasis on marriage. Furthermore, with the internet, you have such a vast access to different people and opportunities for both sexes. A person can literally go on a dating website and contact a hundred different people if they feel like it.
    Yes but this started long before the internet. It started in the 60's, with free lovin, and going against society.

Quote Originally Posted by smackie09 View Post
    Yes but this started long before the internet. It started in the 60's, with free lovin, and going against society.
    Started, but it has progressed further than that.
    I think there's more to it. I mean, look at millennial culture in comparison to previous cultures.
    I think the internet (which spreads ideas, and shapes how we live, think about all the information you've gotten from the internet, this discussion alone wouldn't even be possible without it), how people are raised now, is dramatically different in comparison to previous cultures.

I really think there's more to it than just women's rights, and women being independent.
    Although that is part of it. Men aren't really as pressured to get married either, adolescence has been prolonged in modern society.
    Last edited by GLYC; 25-05-18 at 06:29 PM.

I agree adolescence is prolonged. That's because they are raised more sheltered which gives them less experience and that's done more damage than good. No one got dropped off and picked up from school when I was a kid. It was my responsibility to get myself there and home. Kids are not given the opportunity to make their own decisions or think on their own, or have any responsibilities, which does have repercussions into adulthood. They are socially inept. I don't blame the internet so much, but I blame the parents for not spending time with their kids. But that started back in the 80's when parents could put on a movie and stick their kid in front of the tv. A coworker of mind told me videos were a great babysitter. Those videos were simply replace by the internet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12