+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to get a second date

how to get a second date

So I'm fairly new to dating, as I got out of a big relationship in September, and have been on a few relaxed but not so exciting dates so far. Absolutely nothing wrong with the guys, in fact quite the contrary: they were absolutely lovely, but no real spark.

On Monday I went on what I would by ALL means consider a great date; we laughed, he ordered a second drink, he was charming, he literally lifted my chin and kissed me as we were about to leave... I hadn't felt that much chemistry with someone from my first date. I could go into more details but i

Being that I am a NYC gal through and though, I did consider it could be one of those not so uncommon dates where things look great and then you never hear from him again... but he said he'd like to see me again, texted to make sure I arrived home safely, then said he'd drop a line the next day to arrange a next date (we both got home around midnight) and then... well didn't hear from him for nearly a day so I texted to ask how is day was. He answered, and we've texted back and forth a few times since then (it's only been 3 days) but no mention of a second date and frankly I hate having long conversations via text, I'd just prefer it we met in person. I don't want to play games, I sure like to think that I'm not needy, as I barely text him at all, but maybe I'm getting it all wrong...?

Ok so on to my question; should I just give up and accept that he's just not that into me as I thought, should I ask him if we can meet again, is he just hoping to text me to have his ego stroked...? What the heck! Can I really not trust my instincts at all?

Ruthless, direct, mean feedback is accepted, as long as its honest.

So you want to meet him in person?
    And you don’t want to play games and like the direct approach?

Well... how about asking him out for the second date then ?

But if he said he would drop me a line about setting up our next date, shouldn't I supposedly let him do just that?

I did send him a text last night saying that I was at a very cool rooftop lounge and said he should come, which was more than just a hint. He barely acknowledged it in the morning, saying something about how I maxed out my alcohol quota (I mentioned on our first date that I generally try to only have to alcoholic drinks a week) and then spoke to me about he wanted to start going to the gym again. Ughhhh.... is he just bored?

Do you reckon I should try explicitly asking: "Hey, are you still going to ask me out on a second date or are we just exercising our thumbs?" hahah

Seriously though.

Yes you should do exactly that and in those words. Best to be clear and upfront, otherwise you will just be wondering all the time. If he says yes then great! If he says no then you have a end to your
    wondering and can move on.

Good Luck!

So you let go nice guys just to try with guy you cant get.
    I think you should text him first. Otherwise dont look like he needs you.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

So after ignoring his texts from yesterday night I finally received one from him asking if we could meet up this weekend. I'll keep you posted if we actually get to go on that damn second date!
    Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Well I do not let go of nice guys, sometimes they don't stay in contact either. And this guy is a nice guy too btw. We can't cathegorize people in good and bad based off of if they like me or text me, can we?

But if there's no spark, no sense in stringing them along either, right? I'm quite clear once I know what I have to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pcmaster View Post
    So you let go nice guys just to try with guy you cant get.
    I think you should text him first. Otherwise dont look like he needs you.
    Hah no way. Some of these nice guys also ghosted me after the first date so I think we're all getting a fair shake.

Plus, I don't feel like we can cathegorize guys into nice or not nice only based off of whether they want to go out on a second date with me, right?

Well, looks like I got here just a tad too late. He's already set up a second date. So, that is definitely a good start. I WOULD have said that you probably shouldn't worry too much yet. Yeah, I agree he shouldn't have specifically said he'll check with you about a second date TOMORROW and then not do that. If he wasn't intending to do it immediately, he should have just said he'd hit you up for a second date and leave it at that.

I would guess then you probably wouldn't have been quite as anxious about it. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the fact that he said he'd do it so soon only added to the paranoia. Otherwise, sure part of you would probably have been wondering, but I'd bet you'd have let it slide a little longer without worrying he'd lost interest.

If he hadn't already asked you on the second date now, I think my advice would have been to give it a few days... and if he still didn't to just go ahead and ask him. It would be nice if he did, especially since he said he was going to. But... that doesn't mean that you have to just sit there and wait and hope he does. It also does NOT mean you should just give up without even a word if it seems like he's not going to. I would definitely at least recommend trying to take the initiative before you just give up and assume it is over.

Though, sounds like he has asked you on the second date now. So, just keep that advice in mind if the same kind of thing ever happens again. It is okay for you to sometimes be the one to take the first step in setting something up. ...BUT... if it starts to become a thing where you feel like he is too slow to set things up, or is constantly leaving you in doubt, that may be a sign that perhaps it would be best just to move on. Maybe, maybe not. But, let that be a future concern. Hopefully things will continue to go well and you'll never even have to decide that.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by elisemies View Post
    But if he said he would drop me a line about setting up our next date, shouldn't I supposedly let him do just that?

I did send him a text last night saying that I was at a very cool rooftop lounge and said he should come, which was more than just a hint. He barely acknowledged it in the morning, saying something about how I maxed out my alcohol quota (I mentioned on our first date that I generally try to only have to alcoholic drinks a week) and then spoke to me about he wanted to start going to the gym again. Ughhhh.... is he just bored?

Do you reckon I should try explicitly asking: "Hey, are you still going to ask me out on a second date or are we just exercising our thumbs?" hahah

Seriously though.
    You don’t have to phrase it like this
    Just ask him nice
    Only if you want that date ofc
    If you think I am insulting you with my post or bashing you: You do not get the point.
    I am not here to insult or bash anyone. I offer up my free time to help. Take from my post what is useful to you.
    If you are angry about my post or myself, then please stop and think how that happened. Usually that is the way the brain responds if a critical belief system is challenged (its called cognitive dissonance). If you have trouble with it please answer in the thread. I will come back to you.

So I figured I would keep you guys posted because this whole situation is just weird -at best- and frustrating at worst.

Texting conversation with said guy goes as such:

Friday at 10:50 AM: Hey do you hate time to meet up this weekend or completely booked?

Me: That'd be lovely! What/where did you have in mind?

.... disappears all weekend

Me (Monday 9 AM) : For all your talk about not wasting other people's time you don't quite walk the walk

Him: Looks like the opposite to me seeing as how we haven't spent time over the wkf

Me: But isn't it odd to ask someone if they want to go out and never answer again?
    Me: Oh well

Him: Yes
    Him: Granted
    Him: With a side accusation of romanticism in the margin

Me: Haha oh God how so?

Him: I apologize
    Him: Well darling we have met up once
    Him: I'm in the gym. Give me a few

Me: NP I'm out on a run

Him: You're right to call it out. My going MIA this wkd has nothing to do with you

Me: Well that I figured
    Me: Anyways, too bad

Him: Well you're a binary one
    Him: Either in or out
    Him: So be it

Me: Now I'm confused
    Me: Even more than before
    Me: Of course I'm out if you don't show interest

.... no more news

OK, so: if you don't understand what the hell is going on or what he's saying, welcome to the club. I'm either getting lost in translation or totally going mental.
    Fine, so I am right to assume that he doesn't really want to go out with me at this point and is just playing games? I get the overall gist of the situation but some of the things he says I'm not sure I'm understanding correctly.

Also: WTF??

No, you're not alone. I'm equally perplexed by your recent exchanges with him. Because, yeah, I'm right there with you. It is both odd and rude to specifically ask if you are available that weekend.... and then yet flat out disappear when you respond in the affirmative. ..And yet somehow when you call him out on it he manages to try to say HE is the one wondering if YOU are actually interested or just wasting his time?!?! And he says he's wondering that about you because you haven't spent time over the weekend?! Oh... you mean kind like the weekend where YOU SAID YOU WERE AVAILABLE AND OPEN TO HANGING OUT?! You know... the one where HE disappeared and never got back to you?

I am with you. I kind of think, at this point, my personal thought would be he doesn't sound worth the time. MAYBE I'm just being too quick to react, though. I don't know. Could be he's just one of those people who WANTS to make plans, but can just be unintentionally flaky. Unintentionally flaky is still annoying, but it is better than intentionally flaky. You know him, I don't. So you'd know better than I if it is worth giving him more time. But... I'm personally sorta leaning towards thinking he isn't worth your while.

Good luck to you.

Well with those bitchy messages on both sides I wouldn’t like to meet either of you

So. Good luck. It’s the only thing that’s left here imho

Haha I actually held myself in quite a lot. Yes, I was mad though, I admit it. I find it childish to ask someone out and then disappear, and I will call anyone out on that, I'm not afraid. By the end of the weekend I had decided that he was not a very respectful person, and I wasn't going to go quietly into the night about it.

Good for you ! To hell with the disrespect. How does that go again...many fish in the sea ?

But you didn’t call him out nice
    You acted childish too

You say you are not afraid
    What you mean is that you don’t care if you are rude by stating how you feel

But that is different. If you act sincere for example by just plainly stating that you would like it if he invited you out but you are not sure because at the moment you don’t see your „relationship“ evolving anywhere
    That’s a lot different from „oh well, it’s just too bad but I don’t really care if you invited me or no. And besides that is all your fault because you aren’t true to your words“

All of that maybe true on a level. But if you cannot learn to rephrase that and rethink that into an acceptable way maybe you might encounter more adversarities than necessary

I definitely agree the exchange could have been handled better on both sides. I just can't blame Elise one bit for maybe not handling it the best.

I mean, heck, had I been able to offer advice to her that weekend, I think my advice would have been not to wait until AFTER the weekend to contact him again. Not that you should HAVE to when he's the one who brought it up, but I'd just have suggested texting him maybe Saturday morning with something like "Hey, I didn't hear back, did you still want to get together this weekend?"

Either way, had the whole weekend passed without him getting back I still wouldn't necessarily have suggested approaching it the way our OP did. ...But I'm not for a minute going to blame her for that. I'd feel exactly the same way. I would want to approach it with some more diplomacy at least at first... but I don't necessarily know if I could either. Hopefully, but it would be hard not to be p*$$ed off about that.

Elise,

I think, if nothing else, I would suggest using this as a good example for Future Elise. If somebody is this frustrating... it is honestly probably better just to move on. Why even waste your time? Because, honestly, once HE invited you out for the weekend but then disappeared on you, I'd have honestly said he isn't worth you getting yourself aggravated over it all over again. By calling him out on it, you really just opened yourself up to further frustration.

Frankly, I think my personal suggestion would have just been to forget him. IF he contacted you, I'd suggest just a polite brush off. Something like "Look, it was fun and all, but I'm just not feeling the right kind of spark." Why even bother giving him the opportunity to frustrate you more the way he ultimately did by trying to blame YOU for HIS flakiness? People like that will never learn even if you DO call them out on it.

But, again, I'm not going to blame you for that anyway. I absolutely understand. Good luck to you. I hope you find somebody much more attentive and responsive soon enough. But, for the time being, just remind yourself that YOU are pretty damn awesome yourself. Not like you are perfect or anything. Nobody is. But, you are pretty swell, and if this guy couldn't be bothered to notice it, that's HIS loss. Some other guy will.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast