+ Follow This Topic

Thread: She smokes, I don't. Is it okay?

She smokes, I don't. Is it okay?

My girlfriend smokes and I don’t. I’m not so sure if this is okay. I’ve always been an advocate of a smoke-free campaign especially that my wife had lung cancer before her passing. I believe that there’s too much toxic pollutants in the air now as it is. No need to add cigarette smoke to it. I just don’t know how to approach her about this. We only met in an interracial date tour and have not spent a long good time as a couple together. It might be inappropriate if I reprimand her of something she does on a daily basis. I don’t want her to think that I’m trying to change her for who she is but I see her vice as a total danger to her health.

In this time no need to push her end the smoke habit. Bt when your relationship becomes long and strong, a suggestion to cut off the frequency of smoking is acceptable. Just consider your will, if you really dont want her to smoke, just communicate together and get a consensus between both habits.

Earlier in life I dated a smoker and she tasted like an ashtray. Later I dated another smoker and I didn't know she smoked. But since I can't be around smoke too much as I have asthma, a smoker won't work for me long term. Both girls were very nice and we got along great but statistics show they will be unable to quit. So I had to end it.

I can't tell you what is right for you. You can try it but quitting smoking is very difficult, the addiction is strong as cocaine. Most people never quit smoking. So why get involved if you are going to leave them anyway? These are things you need to think about.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)