+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is this a compliment to a guy?

Is this a compliment to a guy?

Hello,

Thanks for reading. I told a guy over text that he has amazing energy and i don’t know what he thought of that comment. He did reply but it wasn’t thanks, there wasn’t any reference to the compliment. Instead he pointed out something good I had done at work. In hindsight I think it was a weird thing for me to say, I’ve just come into this new way of thinking where I notice people’s energies affect the room and he is positive and motivating so I said he has amazing energy. Obviously no one can tell me what he was thinking, and I’m not asking for advice specifically about my situation, just asking in general what you, as a guy, would think reading that?

I'm a woman but

It's a compliment but more of a new age compliment. He may think you are too touchy feely

Without knowing the context of the compliment, "an amazing energy" sounds like a pretty normal and average compliment. He pointed out something you did well and so he is trying to return the favour. Nothing weird there.

This is coming from someone who is very open to giving compliments to people and people love it as long as it is genuine.
    Last edited by omgtotallyxo; 03-04-18 at 01:13 AM.

Thanks for your input/insight

We’re on a team at work. So I said he brings amazing energy to the team.

I dunno how that would be interpreted. But he’s always saying things like so-and-so sets an atmosphere, so-and-so has a good vibe, etc, so I thought he would understand that language.

When he gets compliments on social media he is all “thanks!” “Thank you!” so I’m thinking he didn’t care / appreciate what I was saying since he glossed right over it. Or am I overthinking it?

The compliment was fine. Some guys struggle to absorb compliments so they kind of side-step them and respond with something different,...such as another compliment back toward you. Which is what he did. The compliment sent back toward you WAS "thanks".

I myself am not very comfortable with receiving compliments,...I totally just don't know how to respond. My normal response is to find some kind of compliment to say back to them,...or I will down play the one they gave to me because I don't feel like I earned it.

He may not have been sure what you meant and didn't know how to respond. Don't over think this.
    I have a long time interest in psychology, specializing in relationship dynamics for 30 years.
    (Please note, we give the best advice we can based on the information given in a post. For better advice, please include the age of all romantic partners.)

I would take it as a compliment and a definite positive thing to be told and also would let me know you think I am fun to be around and talk to.
    “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”

Thankyou all for your replies. I appreciate it. I have major tendency to overthink - but it’s helpful when I get another perspective.

Does it immediately denote romantic interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Ditapage View Post
    Thankyou all for your replies. I appreciate it. I have major tendency to overthink - but it’s helpful when I get another perspective.

Does it immediately denote romantic interest?

You wanted to give him a compliment, how he takes is no bother to you. Ignore his reaction. He's moved on from it and so should you.

If you are fishing for someone to say he is interested in you, ....looks like his interest is neutral. If he was interested he would ask you out. If you are interested, you need to say something better than "you have amazing energy".
    Last edited by smackie09; 04-04-18 at 11:30 PM.