+ Follow This Topic

Thread: A Spark into Fire

A Spark into Fire

I want to fall madly, deeply, head over heels in love. I want a love you would fight for, live for, die for. I want a love that burns so brightly it burns out the sun. I want a love they write books about, songs about. The kind of love that becomes legend. But, that's not for me. Too many mistakes. Too much hurt. Too much pain. Too much heartbreak. I've only known the kind of love that burns. The kind that burns out. The kind that turns to hate. The kind that turns lovers into strangers. No sweet words in my ear. Just venom. I call myself a hopeless romantic, but can never forget the hopelessness.

Don't we all want that and breakups happens to most of us. You're not special, dude.

Thanks for being so uplifting. That was so nice of you to say. And on my very first post.

You are clearly a romantic. You need to insert a dose of realism into that. The love of what you speak is a creation of fiction -- movies, music, books etc. If you are very luck you get moments of that. But mostly real love the kind that lasts is about the dull, boring stuff: doing the laundry; caring for each other when somebody has the flu; watching TV etc.

Everybody also makes mistakes in their relationships. Think about the mistakes you made in the past. What did you learn from them? Do you now know how to spot red flags? Do you understand the consequences of certain actions / inactions? All of these experiences are steps toward your happily ever after.

I got burned pretty bad and it still stings after years. I think you need a super resilient attitude to get on in the dating world.

But also good to see things and people for how they are and to learn from past mistakes too. Hope you one day find your happily ever after.