+ Follow This Topic

Thread: My ex-wife doesn't agree about me marrying again. What should I do?

My ex-wife doesn't agree about me marrying again. What should I do?

I have been divorced for a year already, my ex-wife decided to cut everything that connects us except for the subsidy I’m giving to our two-year old son. Just two months ago, I attended a singles Latin tour where I met this very wonderful woman I learned to love. I asked her out often, even travel together. She is my girlfriend now and I’m thinking about asking her to marry me soon. My ex-wife has known about this just weeks ago. I was actually expecting she’ll be happy but the opposite of it happened. She was pissed and disappointed. She doesn’t agree about me marrying for the second time. Her reason was about me not giving full support for our kid if I’m tied with my Latina girlfriend already. I said it won’t happen, I already committed to our child and I really meant it. But she’s not considerate of me tying the knot again. Tell me, does she have any right to do such?

Your EX wife does not get a say in your decision to remarry. However, you haven't been with your GF long enough to consider marriage. Moreover if there are immigration issues involved you best consult a lawyer.

After our recent experiences, I am tempted to think this is just more spam. There's the tell-tale "singles tour" mentioned. But, as I often say, if I think the topic is of interest enough to where OTHERS who may legitimately have the same/similar issues could benefit from the advice as well, I'll respond anyway. So, not sure if this is spam or an honest question, but I will respond because I do think thoughts and advice could help the OP if they are legit, and even maybe help others in similar situations if not.

Agreed with DalM0m here. Your EX-Wife has no right to tell you what to do or not to do. She gave up the right to have ANY say in your life (beyond as it relates to your child) when you two divorced. I would assume the agreement you two have with you providing money for your son was legally part of the divorce. If so, IF you were to neglect those payments, there would be legal ramifications anyway. You getting married to somebody new should have no affect on that arrangement. I mean, I understand if she may worry that it WILL result in you neglecting those payments, but she has no right to tell you what to do. IF you did neglect the payments, she would be well within her right to seek legal action for you failing to provide for your child, but if ultimately you get married to somebody new and STILL provide for your child she has no right to complain.