+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Am I in love with my best friend?

Am I in love with my best friend?

Long story short. I met my friend (Darren) in April last year at work, at the time I was in a relationship with someone else.
    He was 18 and a little confused about his sexuality. So me and boyfriend would just talk to him about it, as he had no one else to talk to, he wasn’t out.
    Me and him became best friends.

Forward to November, my boyfriend met someone else which completely distorted me, after a year of being with him....I had to found out on Instagram that he met someone else.

Darren was really there for me, for a week I didn’t want to be left alone, he just sat with me as I cried. And I needed that. Part of me feels like he saved my life.

He obviously goes on dates, and I’ve started dating again.
    But....I get slightly jealous when he talks about his dates. I’m not sure why.

I love him, I really do. But I don’t know in what way.
    I don’t want to ruin a perfect friendship with something like this.

I feel better with I’m with him. I want to see him more. I want to tell him how a amazing he is. But I worry that will be too much.

Friends don’t keep this as a secret.
    It is his call wether he will accept it or not

Keeping this from him means you are not really his friend.

Id be open but careful with phrasing everything as careful and honest and especially not as a request but as a offer he can take on
    Or refuse

Or you don’t
    It’s your life and your call
    Either way: good luck

you should casually sexy flirt on him and see if takes the bait and gets romantic on you or avoids your advances as a platonic friend would. this would allow you to communicate your feelings without alienating his friendship.

You said you are not sure if you are interested in him in a romantic way....well make sure you do know before making any kind of move.

I don't think he's going to ditch your friendship just because you want to date him. If you keep it casual and ask him if he would like to go out on a date with you, it will take some of the pressure off and open it up to a conversation about it.

You said he was confused about his sexuality. Has he resolved this, and if so, what's his preference? Straight, gay or bi? I have found when men have been sexually ambivalent like that, turns out they're gay or bi.

At certain points in my life, I've developed "feels" for gay men, it's fairly common actually. Their nurturing natures can really pull you in.

I know that's a broad generalization because straight men can be nurturing too, just saying I don't think your attraction is uncommon.

Don't say anything to him, not sure why you would, nothing could ever become of it anyway. He's a good friend, best to keep it that way.
    Last edited by MsLondonB; 30-04-18 at 12:14 AM.