+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Short relationship, big impact

Short relationship, big impact

22M here. Was dating a girl for about 5 months, first GF. Things are great. We’re BOTH talking about how happy we are, we’re BOTH talking about stuff to do this spring and summer.
    This past weekend I stayed there Thursday and Friday night and was gonna go with her up to her parents house for Easter Saturday night. Saturday midday I leave thinking I’m gonna see her in a few hours when she’s done working. About 30 min after I leave I get a text with a very thin excuse as to why I should maybe “take a rain check” on going to Easter. I immediately get a pit on my stomach and think somethings not right, but I hold onto hope that maybe I’m just over thinking it.
    So Saturday night and Sunday morning I say I love you and she doesn’t say it back. At this point I’m driving myself crazy, so I just ask, “Are we still good?” No reply for like 3 hours, I send another, “Hello?” Then I get the reply, “No I don’t think so, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately and idk what I want in life, I don’t think we’re gonna work out, I’m sorry”. I’m completely blindsided by this. I’m sitting here falling more and more for her and then this happens. I text asking to “Call me please, I don’t get what’s happening” I never get a reply and she removes me from Snapchat and Facebook by the next morning still with no contact.
    I spend the rest of Sunday numb in front of the TV. So after 2 days of feeling the worst I’ve ever felt, I decide to just send what I’m feeling to her just to get it off my chest, not really expecting a reply. She does reply with something like “I’m sorry, I’m just really confused and don’t know what I want in life, and I realized we actually don’t have anything in common. Its not fair to you if I’m not in 100% and I cant” I ask if she thinks she’ll get past this confusion, if she thinks we’ll ever work? She says, “I’m sorry, I don’t think so”. I say “well I can’t make you want to be with me, I’ll always remember our time together and I hope you find what you’re looking for.” She says, “thank you, don’t think this was an easy decision for me, I just need to do this for myself”. I end with "well have a great life".
    I do feel a little better having gotten those closure texts from her versus being left in the dark, but its kinda like being punched in gut 4 times instead of 5. I’m just struggling to sleep or concentrate at all at work. Any plans I had or things I was looking forward to were with her. The smart, logical part of brain knows I need to work on getting over her and moving on, but that dumb, emotional part of my brain in the back of my head keeps saying, “Maybe she’ll change her mind, maybe she’ll get over this confusion she’s having, maybe, maybe, maybe….”
    I’ve talked to some people on other sites and I’ve gotten some mixed opinions. First of all, this was hers and my first relationship, so there’s no ex resurfacing. I know she’s almost done with college and interning so has to find a “real” job now…I know she has a lot of tests to take to finalize college. I know she doesn’t know if she wants to stay in the area she’s in for college or go back to her hometown, which is only an hour away. So I feel like with all those things she had no control over, breaking up with me was something she could control. I had already met her parents before so it wasn’t the stress of that on Easter.
    I feel maybe my intensity just overwhelmed her and I just need to back off for a bit and maybe she’ll change her mind. Things she did in the past week tell me that she’s conflicted. On Wednesday she said, “I’m so **** happy!” and invited me to her Uncle’s wedding. Friday night she leaned over and initiated the kiss goodnight. Saturday we laid in bed all day cuddling. And she was the first one to say "I love you about 2 months ago.

I could have written that, I'm 3 times your age, and have been going through the same stuff.
    Then she Blocked my phone.
    says she can't be smothered with a nightly good night text.

Maybe shes met someone else she wants to pursue or feels shes too young for something serious and wants to play the field. Yes, move on it's for the best, maybe you will reconnect later on in life.

Quote Originally Posted by cocacola View Post
    Maybe shes met someone else she wants to pursue or feels shes too young for something serious and wants to play the field. Yes, move on it's for the best, maybe you will reconnect later on in life.
    I said those exact things already, in a letter to her.
    I think, without physical contact she couldn't do it, and I was 1400 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by cocacola View Post
    I think so too