+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Season 9 Movie Club Reviewing thread: The Greatest Showman

Quote Originally Posted by Exeter19 View Post
    ok, so we are up and running. i'm not much for musicals, i never even watched grease lmao but i'll give it a try and submit a review. just dropping this post to let you know i know which movie was picked and what i need to watch.
    i struggled through watching it, i am not a fan of musicals ( some of these movies just aren't to the taste of all of us) and if I wanted to watch hugh jackman sing and dance i'd go watch him on broadway, which i actually would never do, lmao being sarcastic. i liked the circus performers performances though, like general tom thumb and the bearded lady, zendaya and the concept behind the movie, gogetter attitude, the make or break it attitude of it. it had nice visuals, like a artists painting brought to life, were most of the animals cgi though? jackman was ok in it, was it his best, no but wasn't his worse either. williams was forgettable, the actress who played the opera singer was more interesting than her in this movie. unless someone wants to ask me any more thoughts on it, that is all i will say on it because isn't what i like to watch persoanlly but i tried. they also could have deepened the zendaya effron relationship more, why did it not show her family only his rich family?
    Last edited by Exeter19; 19-06-18 at 12:40 AM.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by Exeter19 View Post
    it had nice visuals, like a artists painting brought to life, were most of the animals cgi though?
    Lol, I thought for sure horses were but it is funny because wonder if they CGI'd most of the animals as not to get the wrath of Peta and other animal rights groups and come under the same fire PT Barnum actually did when running his circus and animals got horribly mistreated. Might have been budget too.

Those lions and elephant definitely were, hehe & I didn't even think about how Hugh Jackman looked until reading some of these posts & I went back to look at pics of him from the movie & I can see what you mean, could also just be the aging process too.

I don't know why they would fake a relationship between Lind & Barnum, but not tell about his real animal circus history.
    What happened to his large elephant is sad :\

So do we only have [MENTION=85795]GLYC[/MENTION] to put in a review? and I think Jester said he wanted to come back & post again too and maybe Jffs24 too?

Anyone buy the soundtrack?
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

[MENTION=78034]breathe123[/MENTION] In the Suggest thread GLYC answered you on this I believe.

Was the elephant in real life struck and killed by a train, elephants name was Jumbo, Disneys elephant was Dumbo. Take on real life one?
    https://www.awesomestories.com/asset/view/Jumbo-the-Circus-Elephant-and-His-Tragic-Death

[MENTION=81349]topazlight[/MENTION]... oh, that is sad

[MENTION=78034]breathe123[/MENTION] ... I think they wanted Jackman to remain virtuous that is why, not as much about his character but him, odd as it seems. I would love to see a real story about Barnum too, warts and all.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilJester View Post
    That's a wonderful thought. It will never happen, but it is such a beautiful thought.

Not surprised to see that the actors look NOTHING like the real people. That's Hollywood for you. The main characters always have to look beautiful.
    I agree with the both of you and on the message, the film tried to send across to people watching it, hope it hit home for a lot of people who might struggle with the same issues in life. I would have enjoyed the movie just as much if they had more realistic portrayals of the real life people being played, would have lent credibility at least.
    “Accept — then act. Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it. Make it your friend and ally, not your enemy. This will miraculously transform your whole life.”
    ― Eckhart Tolle

I read a review on the movie complaining about the use of CGI, if I can find it I will copy the section I found funny into here.

- - - Updated - - -

There are some other problems as Showman unspools, perhaps the most obvious being the weird and unconvincing CGI used to make already-tiny actor Sam Humphrey appear to be even smaller as Tom Thumb, Barnum’s show’s resident little person – it looks like he’s awkwardly walking on his knees throughout, and he occasionally appears then disappears from group musical numbers. Nevermind the terrible looping job, in which Humphrey’s natural speaking voice (and Aussie accent) is replaced with a freaky deep baritone that sounds like it belongs to someone in a B&W gangster flick. It’s awful. People around me were snickering each time he spoke.

This forum is stupid, says message is too short but look how much I quoted.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

^^^WHAT!

That is crazy they would make him even smaller by CGI. I need to rewatch some clips to notice that and his voice. Totally missed noticing that.
    “Accept — then act. Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it. Make it your friend and ally, not your enemy. This will miraculously transform your whole life.”
    ― Eckhart Tolle

I didn't notice they messed with his height either. Movie has its flaws but as far as musicals go, it's a keeper and better than most because in the end it carries a good message for people to remember... that everyone feels on the outside at some point in their life, not good enough and don't lose hope because they are people out there that feel the same as you, and one day you can be all you want to be..... Or even go find and make friends with others who feel like you do, band together and be stronger as a group over feeling powerless as a one. Plus the songs are so good and singable

I was listening to some of the songs and here are a few of my favorite lyrics from each one

This is me:

When the sharpest words wanna cut me down
    I'm gonna send a flood, gonna drown them out
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be, this is me
    Look out 'cause here I come
    And I'm marching on to the beat I drum
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apologies, this is me

Never Enough:

All the shine of a thousand spotlights
    All the stars we steal from the nightsky
    Will never be enough

Rewrite The Stars:

Fate is pulling you miles away
    And out of reach from me
    But you're here in my heart
    So who can stop me if I decide
    That you're my destiny?
    “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”

I was thinking about my favorite storylines and I think the one that made the most impressive and stood out was Zendaya's and Zac Effron's budding relationship and love affair. It was the one that felt the least forced and real to me. I loved the scene where she is practicing, and also at one point performing her act and he joins her and she is swinging hanging and all but flying in the air. Romantic in spades. <3

- - - Updated - - -

^ I love those pics, topaz. I liked their relationship too, more than the Barnum's boring zzzz relationship they showed.

Are we done discussing movie? Outside of GLYC? I will bump occasionally then to keep open for his review.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

I was waiting for GLYC's review to discuss with him. Hope he still submits it.

Gosh the imagery of TGS was so beautiful and memorable.
    ― Eckhart Tolle

Bumps in case he wrote it up & has yet to post it. :] I see new round has started so this will stay open for 1month after this bump.
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

I will bump again to make sure this stays open. Incase any updating before pcmaster's new movie review thread goes up.
    Last edited by topazlight; 25-07-18 at 08:55 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123