+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Season 9 Movie Club Reviewing thread: The Greatest Showman

Season 9 Movie Club Reviewing thread: The Greatest Showman

Here is your thread for reviewing ~ Pcmaster's movie choice ~ The Greatest Showman

Summary:
    Storyline
    Orphaned, penniless but ambitious and with a mind crammed with imagination and fresh ideas, the American Phineas Taylor Barnum will always be remembered as the man with the gift to effortlessly blur the line between reality and fiction. Thirsty for innovation and hungry for success, the son of a tailor will manage to open a wax museum but will soon shift focus to the unique and peculiar, introducing extraordinary, never-seen-before live acts on the circus stage. Some will call Barnum's wide collection of oddities, a freak show; however, when the obsessed showman gambles everything on the opera singer Jenny Lind to appeal to a high-brow audience, he will somehow lose sight of the most important aspect of his life: his family. Will Barnum risk it all to be accepted?

[MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=81349]topazlight[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=70896]Exeter19[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=77017]lovebroken[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=71386]TheEvilJester[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=78654]dollhouse[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=85795]GLYC[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=85495]CantMoveOn[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=70280]Jffs24[/MENTION]

Can put your review anytime you want now. Grats, [MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION]
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Congratulations@pcmaster.

I will try to see the movie this weekend to write up my review.
    “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”

I watched this at the cinema so will have to just give my brief review because not paying to watch it again

I enjoyed it, I am not much of a musical girl, I did like LalaLand though and this one. I think it helped that Hugh Jackman was the lead in it and he is so darn likable that you root for him even when you know they are fudging actual facts and truth on PT Barnum but you just take it as a fantasy tale and you can suspend all reality you heard about previously lol

I loved the soundtrack as much as the movie. Probably will buy it at some point. I used to love the circus as a little girl so it took me back to my childhood.

I didn't care for The relationship with PT and his wife in the movie, I cared more about Zendaya's and Efron's relationship and preferred watching them on screen over Jackman and Williams. I did like their relationship with their daughters though and the bearded lady and some other minor players.

It was a feel-good tale and one that you could easily rewatch again and again if you wanted. Shot nicely, costumed nicely and acted nicely.
    Don't know what else to add. Guess I'll wait for others to add reviews and discuss then? I would give it
    “Accept — then act. Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it. Make it your friend and ally, not your enemy. This will miraculously transform your whole life.”
    ― Eckhart Tolle

You can watch it online here too -

https://123movieshub.sc/movie/the-greatest-showman-2017-watch-online-45/watching/?ep=6

(On that link you just click the play button and exit new popping pages until movie starts to play)
    Last edited by pcmaster; 25-05-18 at 07:22 PM.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

I can't go to unknown sites until I buy my antivirus again, it ran out and I can't get it until the first week in June. Did you feel I typed too little, is there a word limit on reviews? I am new to this.

I forgot to add, I felt did sleep/sex the Opera singer( if I recall was implied he didn't?? but his wife left him over it all, came back but still) because she was very intimate touchy feeling with PT and was obvious he was attracted and obsessed with her and how much more fame she could bring him, almost t the point of forgetting his circus and performers. Greed and power were getting the better of him for a moment. Also, liked the dance numbers too along with songs.

The movie has become an instant classic already. Surprised it never won an Oscars. Not even best song and that song by the bearded lady was awesome.
    “Accept — then act. Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it. Make it your friend and ally, not your enemy. This will miraculously transform your whole life.”
    ― Eckhart Tolle

You can also use Panda free antivirus. Or 2 week free trial.

Anyway You can write as much as you want. I like when its going into detail.

Congrats [MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION]! I voted your movie as one of my two recast votes... I'll watch and review by sometime next weekend ( hopes)

Thanks for congratulations guys.

Watched movie again today. And I still like very much that Zac Efron is in it.

Firstly I like how creative was the lead actor. Liked the relationship he had with his wife. I understood that he wanted life he never had but then again his wife had life she never had already and she was happy. Thats where the problem between them started cause they wanted diferent things, didn't share the same vision. Just like in real life he failed his first bussines, but succeesed later on.
    Zac Efron helped him a lot to advance but he also had relationship going on with acrobat girl. It was interesting how he automaticaly let go her hand when his parents was watching but then it was just his social conditioning and he got over it later on. It seemed like acrobat girl partner loved her too but she chose Zac cause he was more exotic for her.

I think relationship with his wife father was messed up at point of no return when he first hit him in the face when he was a boy. Also its funny that her father was right to some degree - his dauther did run back to home. But I dont think that guy had affair with the singer. Its just she trusted him about her career and he was risking too with her. A bussiness relationship that she did see more than just that.

Also I noticed that even in new house his dauther still had that Wish machine.

Congratulations! [MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION]

Look forward to watching your movie. I enjoy musicals, was involved in some during my high school years.

[MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION] In real life, PT and Jenny Lind only had a professional relationship but to me, the movie implied otherwise. But, in real life, he was ugly and not a looker like Hugh Jackman, lol? So that makes a big difference too. Everyone in movies has to be beautiful and PT and Clarity were not.

Barum, had an ego, was driven by fortune and fame and was hugely skilled at self-promotion and that is what made him great the ability to market anything and anyone. Most people after that disaster of a fire would be so defeated and never rebuilt or start over.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit ( Charity not Clarity)
    ― Eckhart Tolle

I watched but haven't typed up my actual review post yet. I don't think it was Jackman's best performance but omg he has a nice singing voice doesn't he. I think it taints it when you know it is all basically fiction on the character he is playing and not total facts. The actul barnum mistreated his circus animals and care more about profit over people and animals, he may have loved his wife and family dearly though but I think afte rhis real life wife Charity died he quickly remarried. Willams and Zendaya look beautiful in this movie, very dream-like to me. Songs were super catchy.
    “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”

ok, so we are up and running. i'm not much for musicals, i never even watched grease lmao but i'll give it a try and submit a review. just dropping this post to let you know i know which movie was picked and what i need to watch.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by lovebroken View Post
    I watched but haven't typed up my actual review post yet. I don't think it was Jackman's best performance but omg he has a nice singing voice doesn't he. I think it taints it when you know it is all basically fiction on the character he is playing and not total facts. The actul barnum mistreated his circus animals and care more about profit over people and animals, he may have loved his wife and family dearly though but I think afte rhis real life wife Charity died he quickly remarried. Willams and Zendaya look beautiful in this movie, very dream-like to me. Songs were super catchy.
    True. Like they seem to say they got ( general) Tom Thumb in his 20s as an adult but I think in reality he took him at 4 years old as PT was a relative of sorts of the childs family, Idk if he adoption him but I would assume he gave the parents money to take him and use him in his sideshow and give him some kind of special life. So they sort of pc'd that for the time we live in today not to spoil the fantasy of the movie. I don't recall if in the movie they said Thumb was related to PT or not?

I loved the song Jenny Lind song that made PT fall under her trance. Never Enough. One of the most beautiful songs.

― Eckhart Tolle

Oh, my is that how he actually looked? That guy from the Stepbrothers movie, John C Reilly should have played PT Barnum not dreamy heartthrob Hugh Jackman. Fantasy casting at it's best, Hollywood.

I actually liked the message the film gave about acceptance and just because you look a certain way you shouldn't be hidden, outcast by society or your community you should be treated with value, importance and embraced. That is a good message to send to those who feel left on the outskirts of life.

They made it a perservance, optimisitic movie. That is why so many rewatch it and feel good after viewing it.

I'd give it an 8/10.

Favorite character would be Zendaya's.

Three of you already put in reviews ~ good!

My guy & I watched & we both (surprisingly) hehe loved it. I know he did not like La la land at all & was hesitant in sitting through another musical lol? He only did because of the male lead in the movie and thought if Jackman can do the movie, he can sit through it & watch it, lol guys?

It was like you fell asleep & were transported into some heavenly divine dreamscape with rich vivid colors, imagery, sounds & strange but magical people & animals. Almost felt at times you were there inside the movie with them as it went on & the time past quickly considering the runtime. We both thought damn its long & it wouldn't keep our interest so we might have to stop it half way & come back to it another day but we popped our popcorn ( yes, we watched at home, lol) got our drinks, chocolate & went straight through, enjoying it, the music soundtrack was the best!

Some flaws, like almost all movies, and you wish it showed more the background of some of the circus acts, like the bearded lady, zendaya etc but still enjoyed their storylines regardless of the little to none backstories some characters got. The townspeople trying to chase them out, how typical. What is different must be feared by weak minded people.

I also liked his daughters & his relationship. I think he was desperate to give his wife the rich background she once had, and that is why he had that at all cost attitude and focused far too much time elsewhere than on his family when in reality his daughters and wife didn't care if they were wealthy. Sad the girls were treated like trash by school girls because of where the father got his money.

It was a good movie, I would watch it again if it came on my TV, so on & DVD buy. I liked this better than Moulin Rouge.

[MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION] If you want to ask people who already watched & reviewed specific questions you can since this was your picked movie.

- - - Updated - - -

I might go as high as 8.5/10 with the soundtrack added a 9/10.

- - - Updated - - -

Hehe on PT Barnum's actual pic. Tom Thumb looks same though.

- - - Updated - - -

Zendaya's hair looks like the perfect cotton candy fluff, am I right?

Favorite character would be her hair hehehe
    (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast