+ Follow This Topic

Thread: We like each other but he wants to stay friends

We like each other but he wants to stay friends

So I'm really close friends with this guy. I really like him and he really likes me. But he said he can't commit and be in a relationship because he needs to focus on his studies and his family. I know I should respect his decision and not ask for anything more than friends. I still really like him and I want to support his decision. I just don't know what I should do. My friends say I should find someone else, someone who can actually commit to me. I feel like I should wait for him, like until he's ready. I don't know if I'm naive or if I really like him because he's a great person I wanna be with. People say though that waiting will just ruin me or make me sad in the end. Should I keep liking him indefinitely or should I move on and assess other options so I don't waste my time (if I would be otherwise)?

I’d respect his decision 👍

Quote Originally Posted by meow5680 View Post
    So I'm really close friends with this guy. I really like him and he really likes me. But he said he can't commit and be in a relationship because he needs to focus on his studies and his family. I know I should respect his decision and not ask for anything more than friends. I still really like him and I want to support his decision. I just don't know what I should do. My friends say I should find someone else, someone who can actually commit to me. I feel like I should wait for him, like until he's ready. I don't know if I'm naive or if I really like him because he's a great person I wanna be with. People say though that waiting will just ruin me or make me sad in the end. Should I keep liking him indefinitely or should I move on and assess other options so I don't waste my time (if I would be otherwise)?
    If you are even considering dumping your so called friendship with the guy merely because you cannot have a relationship you do not love him as a friend, and for that matter, neither is he a genuine friend. Genuine anything, friendship, love, makes do with whatever small amount is available for one, and is primarily focused on their needs, not their own. Passion is not even love anyway, we feel the love emotion as consequence of a person, not for a person, one cannot emotion a person. The friendship is genuine though, if it`s genuine, and it can take forever just to become good at that.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are even considering dumping your so called friendship with the guy merely because you cannot have a relationship you do not love him as a friend, and for that matter, neither is he a genuine friend. Genuine anything, friendship, love, makes do with whatever small amount is available for one, and is primarily focused on their needs, not their own. Passion is not even love anyway, we feel the love emotion as consequence of a person, not for a person, one cannot emotion a person. The friendship is genuine though, if it`s genuine, and it can take forever just to become good at that.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Respect his decision and stay friends with him. Don't spoil your Friendship and give him time & space, so that he can think over it.

Make him feel special and make him understand the depth of your love.

If he likes you, and still he wants to be only your friend. Then there must be some reason behing this. Talk to him and try to find out the reason behind this. Communication is the key of any realtionship.

So basically you want us to decide your life for you?
    Or I don’t get the question

Well... I don't think that is a black and white answer. There is gray in this situation. Because, the IDEAL situation would be that you accept that he's not ready for a relationship and you thereby move on. In other words, you remain friends with him and leave the window open if he should change his mind..... BUT you don't just wait around for him. You look for love in other people and assume that you and he will no longer be more than friends. If he should happen to change his mind later, great. If you happen to still be single and still be interested in him at the time, great. But, this way if he never changes his mind, at least you are not wasting all that time waiting for him for nothing.

IF you can do that, then I say do exactly that. It's just that can be A LOT harder than you may realize. You may think you are doing that... but in reality wind up putting your life on hold, not looking for love anywhere else because you just want him. You may not even realize you are doing it. You may tell yourself you are keeping yourself open to love elsewhere... but in reality just be waiting around for him to change his mind. If that is the case then you really need to do what is best for you even if it may be something that is initially very hard. He's not necessarily done anything wrong, so you shouldn't treat him as though he has.... but you may need to keep your distance if that is the case. If being around him makes it too hard for you not to just wish it was more, then you may be better off taking time away from him. AT LEAST temporarily.

So, really, we cannot necessarily tell you what is right for your situation. Only you can know that. But we CAN tell you that it is almost never good putting your life on hold for something so uncertain. Maybe he is actually 100% true to his word and COULD be interested in you but just doesn't have time now. Maybe he is just saying that because he didn't want to hurt your feelings. You cannot read minds and neither can we, so we can't know. But, either way, why put your life on hold if he might never change his mind? In time, if he does change his mind, great. He can try to ask you out then. But don't wait around for somebody. You could be missing out on Mr. Right because you are waiting on somebody who is just Mr. Good Friend.

Best of luck to you either way. I know it isn't an easy decision you have, so I don't mean to make it sound like it is. I hope you are able to figure it out and do what makes you the happiest, even if it may be hard at first.

Best wishes.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with HappySpirit to respect his decision!!!
    Last edited by anita88; 06-06-18 at 03:20 AM.

I agree with your friends...find someone else. An interested guy would never want to lose the opportunity to have the girl of his desires....someone else might scoop her up. This guy is blowing smoke up your butt. You'd be waiting for nothing.

i respect his decision i agreee..