+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Season 10 Movie review - The Forrest Gump

Thank you, dollhouse.

[MENTION=70896]Exeter19[/MENTION]
    I liked when he would retell his life stories from the park bench too. The sharing of his life with people with no real pretentiousness from him, even though he could have been a braggart but he had quite the extraordinary life and achieved so much for his age but was so nonchalant about it all, makes you love Forrest that much more.
    “Accept — then act. Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it. Make it your friend and ally, not your enemy. This will miraculously transform your whole life.”
    ― Eckhart Tolle

I watched the chosen movie but didn't have any time to sit and write up an actual detailed review for the film, so I guess I can quickly, " wing" it.

I loved the gentleness and kindness Forrest exhibited, almost that makes you go movie fantasy because in watching this film today, people are so cold, unkind, harsh and cruel and they'd rather step on someone then help, be happy or lift another up, like Forrest does for all around him in his world. Makes you wish at times you could step into his mind, because he seems so content and cheerful and happy even in the face of being confronted by the exact opposite feelings given back at him from others, the bullies, the name calling, agression, people seeing him as stupid.

Like Exeter and CantMoveOn, I too enjoyed his bus stop stories. I like how he met all these famous people around the world on purpose or by accident and Forrest himself became as famous and as fortunate as those he met along the way. Plus, because of his afflication he never seems to act more than an average joe, never puts on airs of being a special someone.

It's odd how Jenny had the abilty to make more out of her life, she wasn't considered simpleminded, she was pretty, and her life took a sharp and different turn to what Forrests did. He didn't give in to the misery in his life and misfortune and Jenny did and suffered and die young for it. But, Forrest never stopped loving her and seeing her as hius childhood sweetheart and all the pureness of her. I didn't really like Jenny, didn't hate her but Forrest wanted to make life good for her, and she denied it, imo. Well, until she knew she was dying and wanted her son to have a father and someone to look out for him after she went, she should have told Forrest about his son right away and not hid it.

I liked how they made Forrest a war hero, and saving so many lives during the war and I also liked his buddy relationship with Lt. Dan and how even though Dan was miserable after losing his limbs in th war, he still protects and loves Forrest, he can't get past the happiness Forrest gives off, no matter what, he wants to make him him, and stand up for him. Real friends, imo.

Liked he named his shrimping boats after Jenny, his true love. So he always had her with him, even if she was running away from him and towards a bad and harder life by choice. I hated how she kept turning him away, and a happy life, because she thought maybe she'd bring him down, but even Lt. Dan gave in before Jenny did to Forrest.

I have a lot more thoughts but think I typed enough if people want to ask questions on stuff I can answer that way. Then keep typing out a straightforward review because it would get way too long.

Are you going to talk to our reviews, [MENTION=42177]pcmaster[/MENTION]. TEJ, CantMoveOn, Exeter and myself put reviews in. Others probably won't until after summertime ends.
    “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.”

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lovebroken For This Useful Post:

Good review lovebroken. Pretty detailed and thoughful.

I noticed that Forrest believed in God. He not just went to church but also talked about God in his thoughs like when he said - "I think Leutant made peace with God afterall."
    So yeah there wasnt much talked about religion and God to not scare people away but I think movie maker was religious. That could explain was Forrest was so peaceful and happy. Cause deep inside he was happy despite that so many things went wrong and sucked for him, he still stayed blessed in his peace and deep happiness. Also one other thing was that he probably didnt even kiss Jenny before asking her to marry him. So thats another religious thing - he didnt escalate but was willing to wait till mariage. Sure it might be because he wasnt experienced but then again he turned that slut away just because she smelled like cigarettes. Sure its just a movie and shouldnt be picked so deep but point is that Forrest could have been very religious deep inside, especially because he donated a lot to church.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pcmaster For This Useful Post:

I was never a huge fan of Jenny either. But, to be fair, you do have to kind of think of it from her perspective. Yes, Forrest was sweet and a great guy and would probably have been a MUCH better match for her than a lot of the losers she obviously wound up with throughout her life. But, the thing is, maybe she just never saw Forrest that way. Maybe she thought of him more as a best friend or even a brother. You can't force somebody to see you in the same way you see them.

If you think of it from that perspective, then you can kind of understand her a little better. Maybe she just didn't like Forrest in that way and didn't know how to explain that to him without hurting him. Of course, it certainly doesn't help when she actually sleeps with him and then proceeds to disappear on him. My sympathy kind of took a nose-dive at that point. Because if she didn't feel about him the same way he did about her she should never have played with his heart like that.

I also think it was very wrong of her to have his child and not tell him. No matter what her reasons, even if she thought she was doing the right thing, he had the right to know as the kid's father. She robbed him of years of his son's life. In the end, at least Forrest did get to spend some time with her before she passed. If nothing else, even if she never felt the same way about him, she at least loved and cherished him enough to realize that she wanted to spend her last days with him.

I do think Jenny always loved Forrest as well, just maybe not in the same way as he did her. But, even in that, Forrest was so decent and pure and good that it never bothered him. In some ways it is kind of a shame, and yet in some ways it is so wonderful. He truly didn't know any better, so if he was happy then what does it really matter, I guess.

Anyway, I could go on and on about this movie. Just so much greatness in this movie. Definitely one I will happily watch again and again throughout my life.

Oh, several of you have your reviews in... Wanted to pop back on and say I have watched it again but haven't typed up a review to post here as of yet..wait for it, haha.

But wanted to come on and give a few comments, on the was Jenny likeable or not, I felt sorry for Jenny because they told us what happened to her without really directly showing us, but we ( the audience knew what her childhood was) and knowing some girls have had the same fate as kids, some killed themselves, some were strippers too and some became drug/alcohol dependent so how they had Jenny's life spiral out in comparison to how they had Forrest's life play out happier, more content because he was a true innocence and always seemed to see the world through the eyes of an innocent child, so bad things that happened to him did not scar him like it did Jenny.

Anyone else cry during the movie? Grave scene? *sniffles*

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe instead of waiting I'll just say...I loved the movie, it touched my heart, as it always did. It is a nice movie to revisit especially living in the world and climate of nastiness/politics etcs we have now.

I've rate it a 9/10...

Forrest was my favorite character... it's his movie, his relationships, and scenes that capture my heart.

Oh, I definitely agree that I felt bad for Jenny for all the crap she went through. I just more never liked how she treated Forrest. Again, even there I have some sympathy because I always just figured maybe she didn't like him the way he liked her. That doesn't necessarily mean she was shallow or anything like that. She just may have always seen him more like a friend or even like a brother. She's not wrong for that... but she didn't always treat him very well.

I can definitely understand she went through some tough stuff, though. That's why I never HATED the character. Far from it. I just think she could have been better to Forrest. Been more clear with him how she felt. Not abandon him completely for long stretches of time. Not neglect to tell him she'd had his child, etc. etc.

In the end, though, she does come through. Being near death, she realizes the one person she wants by her side. Shame it had to take something so tragic to get her to realize it, but at least she finally does.

I think Jenny is one of those complicated fictional characters that divide people. Mostly because Forrest is so good, and his goodness sorta makes Jenny's reactions with him look bad.

I think from the whole movie Jenny always loved Forrest but hated herself and when you hate yourself, I can attest to this from my experiences the people you act out worse with are the ones you KNOW love you unconditionally, you try to push them far away because they make you feel like a failure. They are NOT doing that to you, you feel so bad about yourself you think that is true, and it isn't.

Even when dying Jenny still looked beautiful. Like she was some fantasy creation Forrest made up in his mind.
    “Accept — then act. Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it. Make it your friend and ally, not your enemy. This will miraculously transform your whole life.”
    ― Eckhart Tolle

Yeah, I hear you. That or you get used to hurt and figure pain is your just your lot in life. So, you push away good people because you figure they'll just hurt you eventually anyway, so you might as well get out of it before they even have that chance. Or you convince yourself that you are just toxic and a lost cause. That they are better off without you anyway, so you are doing them a favor. Or you feel you don't deserve them. Or even a combination of things. Life can really suck sometimes. Again, like I said, that's why I could never HATE Jenny.

She's not a bad person. She just has a lot of crappy stuff happen to her and then maybe doesn't react well to it. Doesn't do what she needs to in order to get through it. Instead she falls into an abyss for a while. Thankfully she does finally eventually get herself out from under all of that. Sad that she didn't live much longer after getting her life together, but at least it is better, I guess then having died a mess. She was able to die with a wonderful son and a loving partner by her side.

Yes, I felt she was saving Forrest from whatever toxicity she had within herself, she did not want to spoil him by loving him back until it was way too late. I always loved the little kid in the movie and then he went to star in the Sixth sense and loved him more in that too.
    ― Eckhart Tolle

Hello movie goers!

I will try to put a more detailed account of my thoughts regarding our current movie - Forrest Gump next month. Thread should still be open as conversations are still ongoing and a few members have not discussed the movie as of yet.

I shall start with I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, fairytale, Aesop fable ( it felt like both to me) like a nice mug of hot cocoa, a warm blanket and a roaring fire of comfortableness.

I enjoyed the male roles in this film far more than those of basically the two lone female leads, one being Jenny who I enjoyed more than the other which was Forrest's mother, played by Sally Field. I felt she did nothing with her role. Was folksie and all, like Forrest ( Hanks) but he dug into his character and ran ( lol!) with it for all his and its worth and made every single scene mean something special but Field was basically a series of cliche comments?
    Jenny's character at least had depth and a character arch to enjoy, even if you shook your head at her regarding her relationship with Forrest. The end when she finally did right by him, helped her cause some. Lt. Dan, his character and as well Bubba's were the anchors needed. The arch for LT Dan was imo the best and would have loved to see a movie just starring his character after this movie, anyone else feels that way? His acting was tremendous and most definitely should have also won an Oscar for his stellar performance.

The storyline was perfection, how they weaved into it a history lesson, a moral lesson combined and made us all root and cheer for this unlikely character who was so lovable and cherished, that is a huge feat for the actor and director and bravo to them! Only other movie I think in comparison would be It's a Wonderful Life, and Jimmy Stewart.

Definitely worth a nine out of ten for a movie rating.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to topazlight For This Useful Post:

I felt the same way the males in the movie were better than the female ones which weren't really many, like even Dans new wife what did we get to know about her? Forrest's mom wasn't even that flushed out, and her death was somewhat brushed over compared to Jenny's.
    ― Eckhart Tolle

I just have to find a way to see this movie, but I'll figure it out

[MENTION=85795]GLYC[/MENTION] .. don't worry breathe123, and Jffs24 have yet to put their reviews in yet so you have lots of time to watch it and review it. You can watch it for a couple $$$+ on youtube or watch it for free on a movie website, just type in the movie name and watch free online and had a firewall up, anti-virus on.

^^^^^ on that topic.

I won't be watching the movie, I had originally seen it years ago so I will give a brief synopsis of it as I recall it, rofl. I never got a heads up vote poll was up, so wasn't given chance to vote and I would have voted for Field of Dreams movie, as that was the only one of the choices Iwas interested in watching to review.

Here's what I typed in the suggestion thread for Season 10:
    Just got back from my summer vacation -- go ahead with your poll, pc.
    I'm not giving a movie -- no need because I've been involved in all seasons and not one of my movies were ever picked rofl so I am not suggesting movies but I will vote and if I like the movie chosen put in a review.
    I much prefer Hanks in Saving Private Ryan, Green Mile or Castaway, TBH. The story was good, but the only character I liked was Lt. Dan out of this movie, I found Gump and his mothers folksy saying annoying and fact people still quote it annoying as f uck, rofl. Life isn't like box of chocolates, you actually know what you are going to get by being observant and you get what you give for the most part. I did like the weaving of history in black and white(?) inserts throughout the film and the positive message of not letting bullies win and rise above and make your life how you'd wish it to be not how others think it should be. Hanks was on a huge movie high from this movie, was he good in it, yes but I think Sinese should have won the award, not Hanks. Wasn't there a second novel off this story continuing it, wonder why they didn't make that movie? I'd give it a 7/10.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jffs24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jffs24 View Post
    Life isn't like box of chocolates, you actually know what you are going to get by being observant and you get what you give for the most part.
    I disagree. I think there are A LOT of things that can happen in life that you just can't predict. I mean, I agree with you to some degree that you do sometimes know... but I think honestly more often than not you don't. Sure, maybe on a day to day basis you may. As in you may have a decently good idea of how today will shape up... how this week will likely go.... maybe even how this month will probably go. Even then, though, you can be wrong.

Not to mention no amount of planning can prevent life's little surprises here and there, both pleasant an unpleasant. I couldn't disagree with you more on the "you get what you give" part. Plenty of people give plenty and just get used and abused for it. Plenty of people give nothing and practically get the world handed to them on a silver platter.

I think you may be right about the second novel. I feel like I remember hearing that. I'd almost be curious to read the first to see how it compares to the movie and then read the second (and any others if there are others) to see how the story continued.

It's funny. You may be the first person I've ever personally heard of to not like this movie. Believe me, I'm not saying that means you are wrong. LOL! I've had plenty of situations where I don't like a movie that everybody in the world seems to think is amazing. So I feel ya. Just saying, I was surprised.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast