+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How do I tell dad not to remarry?

How do I tell dad not to remarry?

Our parents have been separated ever since I was still young. It has been 14 years since then and it is true that both my mom and dad have been seeing other people. In fact, my mom got married again after five years of separation, this time with a foreign man. Dad, on the other hand, have just been casually dating. It was a problem at first because he brings his girlfriends at home but we just adjusted to it. We never actually thought he would ever want to get married again since his separation with mom because he was only into casual dating. I also don’t think it would be a good idea since his fiancee is just older than me by five years. How do I tell him not to remarry without making him upset?

Indeed, marry or not is the choice of your father, so you are not really having right to determine it for him. But in your case, your father seems just want to have casual date with that girl older than you not a real marry. If everything coming real, he really want to marry that girl, you can only tell him why you dont want him to remarry and state clearly in the reasons and points. No matter what decision your father made and hearing to your opinion or not, you should let your dad make his own choice for his life.

Quote Originally Posted by jay2665 View Post
    Indeed, marry or not is the choice of your father, so you are not really having right to determine it for him. But in your case, your father seems just want to have casual date with that girl older than you not a real marry. If everything coming real, he really want to marry that girl, you can only tell him why you dont want him to remarry and state clearly in the reasons and points. No matter what decision your father made and hearing to your opinion or not, you should let your dad make his own choice for his life.
    I understand your point. My concern is that, doesn't my opinion matter? I mean, I'm his son anyway. But if he's happy with his decision, then I don't have any other choice but to support him heartily.

It must be a shock after all these years that he’s decided to remarry. I think your opinion matters very much. Have you considered talking to your dad, telling him how much you love him and that you will support him heartily no matter what his decision is, and letting him know your concerns? Sometimes it just helps to be heard and it might help you to understand how your dad is feeling too. I’ll be praying for you this week, for the perfect time and kind words if you decide to talk to your dad, and for peace and the deepening of your relationship no matter what. Thank you for sharing.

This situation isn't under your control I think. Your dad is interested in dating and brought his fiancee at home most of the time. You should discuss about this issue with your dad. If he agree then okey. Otherwise you can't say him not to marry other girls.

being a bachelor for life has its upsides.

I rather be single.