+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overcoming resistance

indigosoul Guest

Overcoming resistance

So, looking for ideas here...

If someone you knew needed to go see a doctor and they were reluctant, what sorts of things would you do or say to get them to go? Assume the reason is moderately important to their health (i.e. they could get a lot more sick if they didn't go) but not an immediate emergency...

This isn't hypothetical, so I'd like as many ideas as you can come up with, please. Thanks!

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ultimately if the person knows that they have a problem, yet they aren't willing to do anything about it, why should you? there's one way to look at it.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Illusional
    ultimately if the person knows that they have a problem, yet they aren't willing to do anything about it, why should you? there's one way to look at it.

raverboy
    Hmmm. Tell me, are you the kind of person that would stand and watch a stranger get beaten, or try to help?

Anyway, this person has helped me out a bit and I'd like to return the favor in a gentle sort of way.

Anybody else got anything a little more constructive to suggest?? Thanks!

Well, let's see. Break it down. You can only ever appeal to anyone's reason, sympathy, fear, greed or desire to persuade them to one or another thing. Over which do you think you have the greatest influence in your case? You wouldn't be referring to anyone I happen to know, would you?
    Last edited by whaywardj; 17-11-05 at 06:54 PM.
    Speak less. Say more.

indigosoul Guest

A doctor and his wife were having a big argument at breakfast.
    "You aren't so good in bed either!" he shouted and stormed off to work.
    By midmorning, he decided he'd better make amends and phoned home.
    After many rings, his wife picked up the phone.
    "What took you so long to answer?" he asked
    "I was in bed."
    "What were you doing in bed this late?" he asked again
    "Getting a second opinion."

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by whaywardj
    Well, let's see. Break it down. You can only ever appeal to anyone's reason, sympathy, fear, greed or desire to persuade them to one or another thing. Over which do you think you have the greatest influence in your case?
    Well, I might be able to appeal to their reason, tho sometimes some of those other things can get in the way of this. I hoping of trying to short-circuit some of that via their sense of humour. Which you forgot to mention, BTW.

Forgot humor? My. Always one to scrutinize for short-comings. Depends on how finely you care to sift the taxonomy of human nature. At base, all human attributes can be divided into but two classes of experience: things we don't want and avoid, or things we do want and pursue.

I'm not sure appealing to someone's sense of humor on a matter of health is a good idea. Might minimize the value of your message.
    Speak less. Say more.

I find that appealing to a sense of guilt often works. If this person knows how much time and energy you spend worrying about them, it might be motivating.

Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    I find that appealing to a sense of guilt often works.
    Wow, you really picked up that Jewish personality quickly! Oi-vey!
    [URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

It was a pre-existing condition. I didn't have to pick it up. It works well in reverse, too. I often feel guilty about things I ought not bother with.

.....like ending a sentence in a preposition?
    [URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

haha - smartypants...

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by whaywardj
    Forgot humor? My. Always one to scrutinize for short-comings. Depends on how finely you care to sift the taxonomy of human nature. At base, all human attributes can be divided into but two classes of experience: things we don't want and avoid, or things we do want and pursue.

I'm not sure appealing to someone's sense of humor on a matter of health is a good idea. Might minimize the value of your message.
    Actually, I am meaning to touch upon THEIR sense of humor, not mine. I think that someone who doesn't go to the doctor when they know they should is deadly serious. Sometimes, if someone expects to be engaged at a certain level (intellectual for example), then trying another angle can be effective. Back door approach, so to speak. It might generate unpleasant side effects, to be sure (they might not be too happy about it or might misconstrue intentions) but at least it gets them THINKING about it, whereas they otherwise might simply blow off an appeal to, say, guilt.

Anyway, the person I'm thinking of I happen to like, so I'd hope its unlikely they would misunderstand my intent.

why doesn't this person want to see the doc or what is holding him/her back?

What does the person have? Why is the person reluctant?

Find out the worst consequances that can happen if that person's condition is left untreated (Prefferably with pictures) and give it to them in a form of collage. Letting the person know that he/she may have only a couple of days to live unless they take some medicine may also help shaping their opinion to the positive...
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast