+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: midlife crisis?

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd95
    If I wasn't so stupid, I'd think you just called me dumb.

Ahahahahaha!!!

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by whaywardj
    LOL! Hehe. You're self-effacing quality is quite entertaining. And nice to see in a guy. Most of us take ourselves just TOO ****ing seriously.

Ummm... aHEM.

::covers mouth w/hand to hide smile::

PS. Thanks guys for the chuckle. Really.

Quote Originally Posted by crickle
    He feels like he hasn't done much in his life and I just don't understand because he has a house on a few acres of land, a job that pays really well (although his work schedule can be quite stressful), lots of play toys like a boat and camper, and so I just don't know what all the fuss is about.
    I've tried to simply reassure him, and remind him that there are many people that don't have nearly what he has, but he isn't responding much to this.
    He might be having some depression. Perhaps this is chronic and since you are new to his life, you don't know yet. He might be regretting his chosen profession, regretful that he is not teaching 3rd grade or doing brain surgery or fighting fires like he thought he would when he was a kid. Maybe he thought he'd have a wife and 3 kids by now and sees his sister close to that and it saddens him. Maybe he's a spoiled, whiny brat who thinks his house on several acres is not big enough or his boat fancy enough since his friends all seem to have nicer ones. Maybe he will be restless and complaining for the rest of his life. Maybe he has chemical imbalance and needs to see a doctor to make sure he's healthy and possibly get a referral for some counseling or even an anti-depressant. If you knew him better, I bet you could guage which of these it could be- or none of the above.

You can try to help him get to the bottom of it, or you can ride it out until you figure out what exactly is eating at him. He may reject you entirely, be grateful you want to help, or be indifferent because on some level he enjoys his misery. It's a tangled web, this relationship business!! Good luck.

In '65 I was 17 and
    *cough*bullshit*cough*
    [URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

Waywards first post is dead on.

I am 29, pilot, corvette, good pay, but as far as being fulfilled, I still get the cravings to climb Mt. Everest, sail the ocean in a sail boat, float down the Amazon, etc.

It is the male adventurer in us, the conqueror.

But these feelings pass as we return to reality.
    HEY I'M A PILOT
    HEY LLOYD, I'm a pilot

Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    I agree with Hayward. The stuff he buys is just stuff. It can't give one any lasting sense of satisfaction. His problem is with the spirit and he probably needs to find something of real importance to invest himself in, rather than capitalism.

However, I don't know if is is chronically dissatisfied or if he is just going through a rough patch. After only one month, I would be careful.

Oh yeah - about the mid life crisis at 29

Ahahahahaahahahaha
    Ahahahahahahahahahah
    ahahahahahahaahahahaha

I don't think so. Maybe he just isn't trivial.

Don't associate Capitalism with material items.

But of course, the complete redistribution of wealth and tax to punish success are the goals of the DNC.

You thought I would miss that little seed
    HEY I'M A PILOT
    HEY LLOYD, I'm a pilot

Quote Originally Posted by crickle
    Well guys, don't jump to conclusions about me yet! I am not materialistic whatsoever. And neither is he. I just happened to mention quickly a few things that happen to be material, but anyhoo, I will say I guess you're right about it being a mere month. I just had high hopes for this relationship but it eeks me a little to hear him belittle himself when he has things, including non-material things, like a very close knit family and such. And now that I've thought about things a little more, I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that his younger sister is recently married and building a new house, etc. and well on her way to happily ever after, so it seems. Well, I think I will keep my distance somewhat until he can figure out his own issues. And if he can't, then I'll move on. Ugh. Which I'm tired of doing.
    It WILL PASS, give it a month.

There is nothing wrong with working hard, and reaping the rewards of your work. But the fulfillment he may be looking for may need to come from religion, or some other form of venture that has nothing to do with rewards of money. He needs to get a hobby, or do an adventure.
    HEY I'M A PILOT
    HEY LLOYD, I'm a pilot

What kind of vette? Z06? year?
    [URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Bluevetteracer

I am 29, pilot, corvette, good pay, but as far as being fulfilled, I still get the cravings to climb Mt. Everest, sail the ocean in a sail boat, float down the Amazon, etc.

It is the male adventurer in us, the conqueror. .
    ...or maybe you are just an adrenaline junkie...

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd95
    *cough*bullshit*cough*
    Acutally, Lloyd, I was 15 in 1965. It's convenient for me that the last digit of my age coincides with the last digit of the year. Makes it easy to remember how old I am. Well...it USED to be convenient, until I started counting in decades.
    Speak less. Say more.

Regardless of any presumptions anyone here may have made, or what they've assumed, I'd keep it at arm's length until I had a better grip on whether it's a feature of his character or just a phase in his life, and which I'd be willing to deal with in him.
    Speak less. Say more.

Regardless of any presumptions anyone here may have made, or what they've assumed, I'd keep it at arm's length until I had a better grip on whether it's a feature of his character or just a phase in his life, and which I'd be willing to deal with in him.

Good point, you have one month invested with this guy, so what is a few more months to feel it out.

That is one of the largest problems with women (I am generalizing) they dismiss someone on some of the most ridiculous things. You are concerned that he is expressing some of life's thought we all have, on some level, and you are freaking out. If it lasts for a month or more, yeah, move on.
    HEY I'M A PILOT
    HEY LLOYD, I'm a pilot

Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    ...or maybe you are just an adrenaline junkie...

No, just just an adventurer. I am not a spectator in the sport of life. I love football, played it for 12 years, but have never been to a pro game.
    HEY I'M A PILOT
    HEY LLOYD, I'm a pilot

...adventurer is another name for mid life crisis suffering, adenaline junkie...

hahaha

dump him.
    (((((((((((

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast