+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About Vashti

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by whaywardj
    Janus: the first clause of the first sentence should be all you need: [url]http://www.pantheon.org/articles/j/janus.html[/url].

"Fascinate" is another great one etymologically. As is "testify."

Pharisees: I think the author is just relating their rational. Not his.
    Ok, your link didn't help. "Jani" means "door" in latin. Janus was the god of doors (hence the two faces, to watch each side apparently--didn't know that part). So a "janitor" is someone who watches doors... a Roman doorman, I suppose??

Hayward, have you read any Lindsey Davis?? The "Falco" books. A private detective in Roman times. They are very good and very funny.

Janus: god of doors and gates..."jani"-esque type guy/girl ("janitor") has all the keys to the building.

Nope. No L. Davis. Still haven't gotten my mind sufficiently around Immortal Beloved to do what I want. But I'll put "Falco" on my list.

And, since I just can't wait to hear what anyone has to say if they look up "fascinate", I'll just let someone tell it: [url]http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/secondary/SMIGRA*/Fascinum.html[/url].
    "Testify" should be fairly obvious. One line of inquiry avers it wasn't the Bible people once put their hands on when swearing an oath. They put it elsewhere, meaning to imply if they didn't live up to a bargain, their children or grandchildren would. [url]http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=20010214[/url].
    Last edited by whaywardj; 07-12-05 at 01:46 PM.
    Speak less. Say more.

indigosoul Guest
    Janus: god of doors and gates..."jani"-esque type guy/girl ("janitor") has all the keys to the building.

Nope. No L. Davis. Still haven't gotten my mind sufficiently around Immortal Beloved to do what I want. But I'll put "Falco" on my list.
    Got it. Re: Davis books. Falco is his main character, not a title. At the risk of distracting you, they are very witty and intelligently written. As always, the earlier books are best.

[url]http://www.lindseydavis.co.uk/publications.htm[/url]

Yeah, I got that Falco was the character. Just went quote crazy for a moment. Hm. The link content rather reminded me of Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose." Lindsey Davis (female?) have a similar flavor, would you know?
    Speak less. Say more.

indigosoul Guest
    Yeah, I got that Falco was the character. Just went quote crazy for a moment. Hm. The link content rather reminded me of Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose." Lindsey Davis (female?) have a similar flavor, would you know?
    yes, Davis is a woman. yes, have read Name of the Rose. Latter is more heavy, tho excellent as you know. Murder, intrigue, same (no monks). Davis is Eco "lite", but still great.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya
    Hi Hayward. I thought Tanya said that she didn't like this author and didn't agree with him because he paints women and jewish people in a negative way.
    Yes, you are right Mishayna. I did already say I didn't care for his version when Lloyd posted this earlier. I honestly don't know why one would take such an interest in my screen name, but really, if anyone wants to read the original (and skip the apologists version) it can be read in the Book of Esther.
    I don't view Vashti as a tragic figure, but as a strong one.

I have to wonder what kind of fuss would have been made had I changed my screen name to Lillith, which was the other name I considered.

And Hayward, about your comment that I rarely agree with male perspective, I don't think that is true at all. I just don't always agree with YOUR perspective.

I've noticed. I've wanted you to finally say it so that when I say I think your being deliberately argumentative with me for undisclosed, personal reasons, everyone would know I wasn't just talking through my hat.

Thanks.
    Speak less. Say more.

indigosoul Guest
    I've noticed. I've wanted you to finally say it so that when I say I think your being deliberately argumentative with me for undisclosed, personal reasons, everyone would know I wasn't just talking through my hat.

Thanks.
    Wow. That was a "set up - knock down" or I'm blind.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hmm, could be that I am argumentative, or it could be that you are provocative, or it could be a little of both. Do I really care?

Nope.

I rest my case. I'm more than content to just leave it at you find me disagreeable and I find you unfulfilled, if not unhappy.
    Last edited by whaywardj; 07-12-05 at 11:20 PM.
    Speak less. Say more.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Ooh, I see you are trying to bait me (yet again). Think what you'd like. I don't really care. Interesting though, that you feel the need to personalize it when someone disagrees with you. Ultimately, though, armchair psychology bores me, so I'll leave it at that.
    Last edited by vashti; 08-12-05 at 12:13 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12