+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In Light of Cyborgs Demands...

In Light of Cybogs Demands...

Cybog has posted a sticky on the gen discussion forum. Basically, he wants us to keep 'on topic' in the various discussions. His reasoning - the area has become a 'mess' with off topic discussions that 'others' cannot get into because they have been hijacked by the regulars...

...on the other hand...

...we have a lot of regulars who feel it is a part of the LF experience, to talk to 'other' LF members, and post threads and talk 'within them' as freely as they may - whevever and however the discussion leads.

Well, I think I found a solution to meet halfway!

For this to work, ONE THING is required: The Mods should do their job of tracking which threads go off topic, and which don't. It's supposed to be their job anyway!

Hear me out...

As soon as a thread goes 'off topic', then the MOD should 'mark the thread'.

Therefore, as soon as the thread has been 'marked', it is known that the thread is no longer a discussion, except 'whatever' talk not related to the title of the thread...

For this to Work, Mods must be doing their job!
    Last edited by Cybog; 12-01-06 at 08:59 AM.

Tone Guest
    LoL so many threads go off topic though... I think they should just be more lenient on the General Discussion forum. Sure they can crack down every other section to make sure no junk gets posted, but the General Discussion should be 1 out of the 12 or whatever forums we have here that should be allowed to get off topic, and we can have free conversation with one another without the thread being deleted by a mod.

yes, i agree with tone.
    your suggestion, RSK, would cause a lot of extra work.

OR, do what Ive been saying all along, Label General Discussion "Off Topic" and Newbs know not to go in there if they're looking for advice.

Sounds pretty smart now, huh?
    [URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Eh, the people who want advice are always given advice on the first couple of pages before a thread goes off topic, so I am not particularly bothered by these so-called issues.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I don't see a big deal in all this. Mods are there to sort all this stuff and delete useless garbage. Knowing the fact that too many teenagers, who don't care very much where/what they post, will come on here, it's all pointless.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

Rosebud is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yay, Asip.....ugh....hey where'd you go???

Anywho, All I know is that I haven't got a warning about anything so far so I must be doing something right!
    If you can't handle the thorns, don't crave the rose!!

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti
    Eh, the people who want advice are always given advice on the first couple of pages before a thread goes off topic, so I am not particularly bothered by these so-called issues.
    Agree with everything in this post. Cyborg is in danger of becoming a Forum Nazi, excessively repressive, with this idea (I haven't actually read his suggestion, mind, will go do so immediately). But I think the general idea sounds like micromanagement. And as often as a thread goes off-topic, so will someone read the original post and bring it back. I've done this many times myself, both digressing and bringing back to point.

Perhaps it should be written in the General Forum rules as a general point of etiquette (if it isn't already), but not as an enforced reason to delete a post. Some of the digressions have been extremely amusing contrasts to a thread otherwise in danger of being too serious. This counterpoint actually keeps my interest in coming back. I think I'd stop posting if things became too regulated.

indigosoul Guest
    OK, I read his post. Its pretty bald, but given what I understand he was required to sift through, I understand his frustration. Here's how I would deal with this:

Post a reminder about Forum Etiquette, as I suggest.

DON'T blast everyone, just the specific few that are repeat offenders. EVERYONE on here has derailed a thread occasionally, including Cybog. (let he who hasn't sinned cast the first stone...)

Ban those who refuse to comply. Particularly if they are the source of several complaints. And I think this should require the consensus of more than one mod.

Its practically impossible, BTW, to define what constitutes "derailment" anyway. And as far as the "list" Cybog provided, its terribly restrictive. Philsophy, art, science...marriage problems... I didn't see any of those issues listed and I know that many find those topics of interest. You see my point.

Now... lets move on. And thanks, Cybog for being so diligent.

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by alice
    yes, i agree with tone.
    your suggestion, RSK, would cause a lot of extra work.
    And this too. Agreed. Plus, it doesn't allow for the times when a thread DOES go back on topic.

Tone Guest
    Good points indi...

A lot of times it does happen that a thread might go off topic for a few posts.. but then it gets back on topic with more help for the original poster.

yeah, i suppose i'm wrong

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    did you know that cy is the one who actually pays for this internet space?? oooooh there is something to think about huh? well actually it's not true, but that would seemingly turn things around.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

isn't his name Cybog, not Cyborg?

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    yes, his sn is cybog.. rsk never gets anything correct.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast