Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

lol Mish, i kid you!

but whenever i see you post, i automatically think that you are debating...

...lol

hey mish, what are you doing on Tuesday, 1pm EST? wanna debate about something?

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya
    If you believe that everyone else is stupider than you that means that you know everything that 6 Billions people (or so) know combined + more.
    This statement is a logical fallacy. Your second statement does not follow from the first. Bad argument. Try rephrasing, Mish, then I might argue your other points...

Quote Originally Posted by indigosoul
    This statement is a logical fallacy. Your second statement does not follow from the first. Bad argument. Try rephrasing, Mish, then I might argue your other points...
    Huh? The quote you posted is all one statement

How can you say it's a logical fallacy? IF you believe that everyone else is stupider than you then it means that you know more than everyone else combined, which means that you know more than 6 billion people. Where is the fallacy in this logic Indi? Please show

Unless

U n l e s s

You only really posted that to get me to start debating which you have come to love and expect
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

indigosoul Guest
    Nope, not trying to debate with you (yet). Your argument style is a little open-ended for my taste, as such. I like terms that are well-defined before they are argued about.

But here's a starting point for you (these statements are DIRECT copies of your previous posts, BTW)

S1: You believe that everyone else is stupider than you
    (please define "stupid")
    S2: It means that you know more than everyone else combined

If you try to draw a simple Venn diagram on this, you'll see the difficulty...
    Last edited by indigosoul; 23-01-06 at 06:46 AM.

Nope, not trying to debate with you (yet). Your argument style is a little open-ended for my taste, as such. I like terms that are well-defined before they are argued about.

But here's a starting point for you (these statements are DIRECT copies of your previous posts, BTW)

S1: You believe that everyone else is stupider than you
    (please define "stupid")
    S2: It means that you know more than everyone else combined

If you try to draw a simple Venn diagram on this, you'll see the difficulty...
    First of all it's not me who believes that everyone else is stupid, so better to use "One" instead of "You".

Second if you believe that everyone else is stupider than one it means there can not be anything that someone else knows that one doesn't know. If someone else knows something that one doesn't then that person can not be stupider than one because the person is smarter than one in SOMETHING so the statement "Everyone else is stupider than me" straight away becomes invalid. Do we Understand?
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

indigosoul Guest
    Second if you believe that everyone else is stupider than one it means there can not be anything that someone else knows that one doesn't know. If someone else knows something that one doesn't then that person can not be stupider than one because the person is smarter than one in SOMETHING so the statement "Everyone else is stupider than me" straight away becomes invalid. Do we Understand?
    I understand you are not the one who originally posted that statement. But your question for me was to explain how YOUR post contained a logical fallacy. I think you changed your first sentence from previous, so which is it? Again, if you want to see why you have a problem, you must attempt to define your term and draw a diagram. If you can think of ONE example where your diagram fails (and it will), then you have a logical fallacy, okay?

PS, I'm NOT saying your idea is necessarily wrong, I'm saying that your attempt at proof of it is flawed. The two are distinct. I know where you're trying to go with this, but OV is a mind of logic....
    Last edited by indigosoul; 23-01-06 at 07:25 AM.

Okay, let's define the word stupid:

stupid

adj 1: lacking or marked by lack of intellectual acuity [ant: smart] 2: in a state of mental numbness especially as resulting from shock; "he had a dazed expression on his face"; "lay semiconscious, stunned (or stupefied) by the blow"; "was stupid from fatigue" [syn: dazed, stunned, stupefied, stupid(p)] 3: without much intelligence; "a dull job with lazy and unintelligent co-workers"

To simplify, let's say a stupid person is the one who knows less than others or has an impaired abillity to learn as others and therefore knows less (Less of anything I.e. not intelligent enough or in the lack of intellectual acuity to give a correct response due to lack of information in any field)

I am not really sure why you require a diagram or a schematic to explain how perception of everyone else being stupieder than one means that one should be intelligent enough to know everything that everyone else knows, but even if I did draw you a giant algorithym I think you would not understand and continue argueing so I will just give up and move on
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

indigosoul Guest
    Okay, let's define the word stupid:

stupid

adj 1: lacking or marked by lack of intellectual acuity [ant: smart] 2: in a state of mental numbness especially as resulting from shock; "he had a dazed expression on his face"; "lay semiconscious, stunned (or stupefied) by the blow"; "was stupid from fatigue" [syn: dazed, stunned, stupefied, stupid(p)] 3: without much intelligence; "a dull job with lazy and unintelligent co-workers"

To simplify, let's say a stupid person is the one who knows less than others or has an impaired abillity to learn as others and therefore knows less (Less of anything I.e. not intelligent enough or in the lack of intellectual acuity to give a correct response due to lack of information in any field)

I am not really sure why you require a diagram or a schematic to explain how perception of everyone else being stupieder than one means that one should be intelligent enough to know everything that everyone else knows, but even if I did draw you a giant algorithym I think you would not understand and continue argueing so I will just give up and move on
    OK. Definition of stupid: a stupid person is the one who knows less than others or has an impaired abillity to learn as others

So your statement (from previous post):

S1: everyone else is stupider than one/you (sic)
    S2: it means there can not be anything that someone else knows that one doesn't know.

Now, Mish, your very own words:
    "If someone else knows something that one doesn't then that person can not be stupider than one because the person is smarter than one in SOMETHING."
    (this is the contradiction I was saying would happen that would make the Venn diagram incorrect)

"So the statement "Everyone else is stupider than me" straight away becomes invalid. "

PS. You call yourself an "argumentalist". Use of Venn diagrams in basic logic is one of the most fundamental ways to break down an argument. Very simple and effective. You should read more about this if you are interested in strengthening your argument skills. Do YOU understand?

indigosoul Guest
    but even if I did draw you a giant algorithym I think you would not understand and continue argueing so I will just give up and move on

Quitter. Coward. I think you KNOW I'd understand and it scares you silly.... I eat minds like yours for breakfast

wow, you two never seem to get tired of this >> RESPECT to that!

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by alice
    wow, you two never seem to get tired of this >> RESPECT to that!
    Thanks Alice! It's fun, I admit. I keep HOPING I'll actually learn something from Mish, tho, and it hasn't happened yet... ::sigh::

Thanks Alice! It's fun, I admit. I keep HOPING I'll actually learn something from Mish, tho, and it hasn't happened yet... ::sigh::
    lol, you guys ROCK!

where do you get the energy?

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RSK
    lol, you guys ROCK!

where do you get the energy?

I'm bed-ridden with this darn virus that's going around. Three weeks with bronchitis and no sign of it getting better. First weekend I've forced myself to stay home/not work, tho, so I'm hoping my immune system will rally to the front... the troops are getting pretty desperate...

"So the statement "Everyone else is stupider than me" straight away becomes invalid. "
    INDI. This is NOT MY statement. The statement is made by OV!!!

I know it's invalid and that's what I was trying to prove to him. Are you arguing with OV or are you arguing with me???

Indi. You just LOVE arguing with me don't you

P.S. Well you found a good way of disproving him I'll give you that
    Last edited by Mish; 23-01-06 at 08:14 AM.
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast