+ Follow This Topic

Thread: To Jane

To Jane

Ok so it wasn't until reading one of your latest posts, Jane, that I knew you were a chef. I personally am in school to become a chef and/or restaurant owner/operator. I'd love to know any insight you have as a now executive chef. Any pointers or things I should know going into the business. I'd love to hear anything you have to say. Thanks.
    Heit ist mein taug.

wow, It feels good to have someone ask me that!! Thanks for making me feel special..
    anyway, what kind of restarurant do you want to own/operate?
    The biggest pointer I can give you...

NEVER BURN ANY BRIDGES WITH PEOPLE YOU WORK WITH.

I gurantee that somewhere you will meet again. We are a family and you know that in our business, eveyone knows each other.

I guess the second one is that you are only as good as your knives. Get areally nice set of knives you will use all the time. I got mine in school and to this day, still use the same kind. (i can't spell so here goes)
    Wyostoff the one and only.. DO NOT BUY GLOBALS!!!! THEY SUCK!!

My advice to use is this, plan ahead with waht you want to do in 5 years and then when you get ther, plan again. Thats what i did.
    "Remember always, that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    - - Eleanor Roosevelt
    " It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not."
    - - Michael Nolan
    "...to love and lose, is better than not to love at all..." .... Lord, whats his name....
    " The world is big... I want to see all of it before it gets dark." -- John Muir

I guess the second one is that you are only as good as your knives. Get areally nice set of knives you will use all the time.
    Funny thing. That's the same exact thing my uncle said. Of course he was a mass murderer. . . . but the principle is the same. Cutting, slicing, etc.

Alexi

PS - Joking.

oh man.. I read that and was like WHAT????
    "Remember always, that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    - - Eleanor Roosevelt
    - - Michael Nolan
    "...to love and lose, is better than not to love at all..." .... Lord, whats his name....
    " The world is big... I want to see all of it before it gets dark." -- John Muir

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sfalexi
    [B]Funny thing. That's the same exact thing my uncle said. Of course he was a mass murderer. . . . but the principle is the same. Cutting, slicing, etc.

Alexi

Yikes!
    Jay-tea :0)

Thanks, I'd really like to open a nicer kind of restaurant. Like a really expensive restaurant for special occasions. As far as knives go I'm using Henkel's. I was told they were really nice knives. I have yet to buy a full kit because I'm positive I'm going to get my restaurant management degree but I'm not so sure whether or not I'll get my culinary arts degree either. Mainly because I've never cooked before this and my first culinary class has this teacher that expect us to know it all even though its an introductory class so that's kinda turned me off. So right now I just have an 8 inch chef's knife and a steel.
    Heit ist mein taug.

I actually have both. it makes sense to. I have an Associates Degree in Culianry Arts and a BA in Food and Beverage Mangement. You need to have a Culinary degree to be taken seriously. Its important.

Fine Dining is a bitch.. be prepared. I do it now. 78 hours a week minimum. YOur in cahrge.. the diswasher doesn't show up, its you. The line cook came in drunk, its you. Get ready for that.

The linecook coming in drunk... really happens. In this business, everyone has a vice either its drugs, alcohol, gambeling... it just come with the high stress.

Henkels are great knives. I have small hands thats why I like the wofs but it depends on the weight and how they feel in your hand. I wish you losts of luck.. if you ever come to San Diego...
    You got a job!!
    Keep in touch. I would love to have some fed back on menus and stuff. sound good?
    - - Eleanor Roosevelt
    - - Michael Nolan

Sounds great. I think it's awesome to know someone who's completely into the field. I'll definitely keep in touch. Watch out offering me a future job though, I may be inclined to snag it.
    Heit ist mein taug.

hey.. if you need one.. and your here... Look me up !!
    - - Eleanor Roosevelt
    - - Michael Nolan