+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Polite Rejection

Polite Rejection

I was doing some research today in one of our academic buildings, and a guy who also works in the same room came in to do some work. After a little while he started to strike up a conversation, which lasted like 5 minutes, and I was trying to get out of there - was supposed to be meeting someone. Eventually he said "oh, we'll have to hang out this semester before you leave (to go abroad next year) since I'll be gone when you come back". He then asked what I was doing thursday night and asked for my number, which I gave him. He said he'd call me and we'd hang out Thursday night.
    Problem is, I really have no interest in this guy... it didn't really occur to me that he was hitting on me at the time. Plus I'm going through drama with a guy that I like and another guy who I just met. The guy I'm writing about just friended me on Facebook and said "Haha I see you are married to someone. Sure your husband/wife won't mind if we hung out ?" (I have under my relationship status "married" to my best (girl)friend.) I just messaged him back and said 'my "wife" doesn't object to me having friends " Do you think that will give him the message?

um..are you a guy? it sounds like you're bi. well anyway, if you are interested in someone else, and you want to hang out with him, just go hang out and if he asks you out say "I'm sorry, I'm interested in someone else right now" but you cant flirt with him while you're out, thatll give him ideas.
    If you dont want to hang out with him, just tell him you are busy with your life, and cannot hang out.

No, I'm a girl - the marriage thing is a joke.

we haven't decided what to do yet, he wants to party but i don't drink, so i might just make it a short, public (coffeeshop) meeting... no problem not flirting with him.

Facebook wives are nifty for deflecting creepy guys.

uhm well you shouldnt of given him your number really but hey ive done that too, just tell him you are seeing someone else and would like to only be friends

but if she tells him she is seeing someone else, and he finds out she isnt, she just likes someone else, how is that polite rejection? he'll be really heartbroken..i mean he'll be heartbroken that you're intrested in someone else and not him, but not as bad if u tell him the truth
    and about the phone # - whats done is done
    lol i see how the marriage thing was a joke, sorry lol, i dont really know what a facebook is really lol russian, ya know =/
    Last edited by Lynx3; 06-03-06 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by meguin
    Facebook wives are nifty for deflecting creepy guys.
    A facebook boyfriend would be a really handy way, too, but that wasn't really my ojbective. I should've just let him find my number on there instead of giving it to him directly. Whatever... if he is just interested in being friends, it'll be fine - otherwise this will blow over when I say I'm not interested. I'll just have to find somewhere else to work.

Dont change jobs just because of this...unless you really want to. Its his fault he wanted to date a girl above his standarts

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3
    Dont change jobs just because of this...unless you really want to. Its his fault he wanted to date a girl above his standarts
    I'm not changing jobs - I just do research in that room because it's convenient - I could do it anywhere.

What do you mean, above his standards?

I was just kidding about standarts thing... i assumed "Somewhere else to work" was changing jobs. sorry ^_^

Facebook. xD

I don't know if that'll give him the message. I think you have to be less subtle than that... you can be polite yet direct if you really feel he is hitting on you.
    If a dream comes true... then is it still a dream?

Some people have way to much of an exciting life for their own good.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Tone Guest
    Feast or famine! LoL

What is a Facebook? Is it like a Myspace?

Facebook is basically like Myspace for college students. You have to have a college email address to register... although now they're letting HS students on too.