+ Follow This Topic

Thread: We're so in love but we can't be together

We're so in love but we can't be together

I have been with my boyfriend for almost 4 years, we love each other very much. But, i come from a really conservative family who highly value religion. The problem is, my boyfriend is a non believer and we come from different country. So, my parents and my big family are really not supportive towards our relationship.

I love him and his family a lot, they have been really kind to me and they treated me as if im part of their family. Meanwhile, my family does not even want to try to have a conversation with my boyfriend at all. I feel that its unfair for him and his family to be in this situation.

At the moment im on my last year of university, and he is also one year older than me, so looking at our age we should be thinking about our future and the clarity of our relationship. We are now at the edge of breaking up but its not because we want it but because we cant be together.. it honestly hurt so much and i really dont know what to do because i dont want to break up but i also dont want to drag him into this uncertain relationship.

I really dont know what to do.. i really dont want to break up.. how can we pass through the religion issue? And how can i make him more visible on my parents eyes?
    Last edited by Akapiting; 25-08-18 at 11:17 PM.

That question is stupid

If your religion forbids it then either you just decide to go against it or not

If you parents forbid you to be with a person who is not of your religion you either listen to them or not

I don't even get your problem
    You can just do whatever you want

Your family has no right, nor does your religion, to tell you who you can or cannot date, or even eventually marry. Let me put it this way...

Do YOU not want to be with him because of the differences in religious beliefs? Is that a problem to YOU? If it is... if your religion is important enough to you that it is a problem... then MAYBE you two would be better off breaking up.

If it doesn't matter to you and you love him enough that you truly don't care... then your parents/family have no right not to respect your wishes. Sure, they can wish you find a nice guy who shares your religion... but ultimately what they should want the most is for you to be happy. If he makes you happy, why should they not accept him?

You are from a different country than am I, so I don't know... maybe things are different for your culture. If they are, then I guess I could be wrong.... but I just don't personally think family and/or religion should sway love one way or the other. Again, not unless it is that important to you.