+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is he being polite?

Is he being polite?

Well, I did it. I finally thought enough was enough and I had to ask this guy out (see previous postings).

For those of you who didn't read my previous post, I have a guy friend who has been emailing me love songs, asked me to go watch the sunset with him etc.

Anyway, I mentioned to him that I had a week off work next week and wondered whether he'd like to meet up after work for a drink/see a film etc. He has just responded saying that as much as he would like to, he really can't as he has revision for doctor GP exams and he is a little worried that he won't get this exam, which is under three weeks away, as he has so much work to do for them. He said he had to be firm with himself at the moment and really hoped I understood.

Well I do kind of understand as realise how important these exams are for him, but I don't know whether this is a brush off after everything, or whether he would genuinely like to meet but simply can't due to pressures of work.

What do others think?

katy123-----From your description in the other thread, he sounded like someone who knew what he was doing (intelligent, well travelled etc).

Now that you have made the move, he has told you that he is busy studying.

Now, you must take a step back.

The ball is in his court. Let him do the asking in the future. Not you.

Yes, he might be busy - as he is rather responsible for his studying. So wait a bit!

Good on you for putting yourself out there. I have been reading your posts re. this relationship.
    Sounds reasonable that he needs to study, this time could set up the rest of his career (very important). I would definately wait til he has less on his mind and i'm sure he will call then.
    You never know............................. until you ask!

I know this means everything to him - he has been preparing for these for years. I'll wait and see. I guess that is all I can do is wait. I am 99% sure he is in to me, otherwise I don't think he would haev told me that he would really haev loved to meet up, but because of work pressures couldn't. I think that it is also reasonable. Besides, I guess the last thing he needs at the moment is any distractions in the form of me. However, I will wait for him to make the next move! Do feel really rather silly.

Quote Originally Posted by katy123
    I know this means everything to him - he has been preparing for these for years. I'll wait and see. I guess that is all I can do is wait. I am 99% sure he is in to me, otherwise I don't think he would haev told me that he would really haev loved to meet up, but because of work pressures couldn't. I think that it is also reasonable. Besides, I guess the last thing he needs at the moment is any distractions in the form of me. However, I will wait for him to make the next move! Do feel really rather silly.

Nah, don't feel silly. Kudos to you for going ahead and making a move, that's for sure. I don't believe he's just being polite. Hardworking, career-driven people sometimes tend to put that kind of stuff in the very forefront of their mind. Particularly with something so vital to his future as this. No reason to feel insulted or "second best" in this situation, and the fact that you seem very understanding is a great step in the right direction.

Thanks, Roger. How are things with your situation?

Katy, I can see why you question it. What, he can't make 20 minutes for a coffee date, just to show he's really glad you finally said yes? Suspicious....

I hope he changes his mind.

If you don't hear from him, never call him again.

Thanks, Roger. How are things with your situation?

Immobile so far. No real progress yet unfortunately . . .
    Last edited by RogerWilco; 29-03-06 at 02:32 AM.

Perhaps you and I should get together then?!!

Perhaps you and I should get together then?!!

Sounds good. Hope you have a private jet to fly to the states.