+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How do I pick her a present?

How do I pick her a present?

This may sound so much like a cliche but I'm having a hard time picking her a present! Lets just say she's not the average girl that would like just flowers and chocolates and teddy bears, she more meticulous than that. I'm having a hard time guessing what she wants because we're always too busy to go out together and I couldn't remember when was the last time we shopped together. She mentioned that she wanted something um... "practical" any idea what that means?

Could anybody give me some general guidelines as to how to go about solving this? Help me out girls!

King Zarathu Guest
    Buy her a box of oreo cookies.

I'm being serious. A guy I know bought his girlfriend a box of oreo cookies for her 1-year anniversary and she thought it was the most adorable thing anybody could have ever done.

...Strange ass women

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    None of us know her, so choosing a gift for her would be even harder for us. Generally speaking though, music or books make a nice gift. Also, I personally really like live theater events or concerts.

How old is she, what are her hobbies/interests? what is the occassion? How much do you want to spend?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

agree with vashti but i don't like reading so maybe a book will be useless for a none reader. you know what she likes to do, you sayd both of you are busy , get bith of you a day away in a nice place, or spa(gift card for both of you will be better).
    give us ore details so we can think for more ideas
    good luck

Like vashti said since none of us know her it woudl be harder for us to tell you. However depending on the occasion, your present woudl have to vary, if it's your anniversary or something then you should give her something on the romantic side... and by practical I guess she means useful...not like a teddy bear that serves very little purpose...she coudl also mean not extravagant. If it helps...for valentines day one of the things my boyfriend got me, was a set of books...well two books, at that time I was trying to decide between medicine and economics, and was really confused, and upset so he got me freakonomics and this medical book, and a card that said find your true passion this year. That was meaning ful and useful and also really romantic cuz I knew he thought about it and personalized it...maybe you could think along those lines...
    And since you know you cannot see yourself,
    so well as by reflection, I, your glass,
    will modestly discover to yourself,
    that of yourself which you yet know not of.

Quote Originally Posted by XPixiedustX
    That was meaning ful and useful and also really romantic cuz I knew he thought about it and personalized it...maybe you could think along those lines...
    yup.. that's really the key.. don't just make a generic gift... most women complain that guys never get them flowers.. the reason for this is that guys think that flowers are 1. a gay gift and; 2. a generic gift with no real feelings attached.. however.. i must note.. that perhaps your girlfriend really really REALLY likes flowers.. and if you can get passed your homophobia and the idea that flowers are a bland meaningless gift.. then you might just make her day..

this goes for anything.. i would never in a million years buy my girlfriend a book... no offense pixie.. but i wouldn't.. because i know i'd hate a book as a gift... and there you have it.. a bad train of thought.. if you were to think like me.. you'd just avoid making a thoughtful gift.. because maybe your girlfriend does like books, or flowers, or candles, or romantic dinners, or seeing a play or a sports game, or anything YOU can think of based on how well you know her, and stuff we here can't tell you, because we don't...

hope this helps you a bit..

If you can't stop the Wind, then you can't stop the Storm.

How old is she, what are her hobbies/interests? what is the occassion? How much do you want to spend?
    She's 20 this year, she don't have much hobbies as far as I'm concerned besides going out for shopping every now and then, though she spends alot of time studying in the library. We're both studying in medical school and I'm her senior you see. Its her birthday and I don't really have a budget for her gift, I'm just looking for ideas.

She don't like reading really... I guess books won't make such a good gift in this case. She appreciates little things say for example me getting her cookies on some random day for no reason. But she also demands creativity, which means I can't do the same thing twice... troublesome if you ask me.

I like the spa idea... I could use some relaxation too! However it could get pretty chilly in the library especially when it rains. DO you think she'll appreciate it if I get her something warm? Like some sweater... I don't know.

My boyfriend will listen to me, say I'm watching TV, listening or reading some kind of advertisment or product and I say "Ah, I must get some of that" he will keep it in mind. Of course, I've got into the habit of saying "Oh I like that" to everything lol.

Personal gifts are the best...engraved messages, and personalised gifts... and things like going to the place you first met, just thing how happy she makes you and think of gifts that can relate to her, in the sweetest manner. Even if it's something that reminds you - a smell, a feel, a thought, a word...

Like said before, we don't really know your girlfriend, so picking a gift is not something we can do
    But a personal gift is always best
    Show her that you know what she loves, give her something special.
    A gift doesn't need to be materialistic, for example, I know my girlfriend really enjoys the beatifull little things in life, so I took her out to dinner and then went to a beatifull spot in the dunes and just watched the sun set..., she really loved it.

That's the most importent aspect in giving something nice...make it special and show her that you know her, and love her...

Does she have any hobbies or just things you know she likes? To me practical means things she can use. Flowers die and choc candy makes you fat.You have to know her taste and what she could use in her every day life. I don't know her but you could get her a charm bracelet and get charms that represent your relationship. Times you've spent together, etc. Good luck

agh, I always have a hard time with presents. I walk through shops judging every item; it wouldn't fit.. they woudln't like it.. it's too childish.. it's too serious.. it's.. etc..

I got my bf a keychain that is a heart that separates smoothly in the middle and we each keep one half of it. One day a friend at college saw it dangling on my belt and said "if he has the other half, i'll barf", but other than that it's all good.
    But.. that isn't really practical.
    You mentioned she likes shopping now and then- who doesnt? heh. so, where does she shop mostly? maybe get her a voucher there, if you're really stuck for ideas.

hm. Practical. Just try to think of something she could use on a regular basis.. I don't know her, so I have no idea; Is her old wallet falling apart? how about a cute mini umbrella for the rain? Her hands are freezing in the lecture rooms? -- get her one of those little handwarmers. Or maybe a thermo-flask for bringing warm tea into college? I'm just thinking of warmth because it was mentioned, but there must be other things that you can think of! loosen up and just imagine things that might be useful for her.

How about something fun? Kinda like a treasure hunt? Leave her little notes to go somewhere and do something small inbetween, and that the end have her meet you at her favorite restaruant. Those things are fun and original. No body wants mundane. Be creative. Books are no no and although practical you need to think of things she would USE not just throw up in the closet. If she writes a lot a great pen thats engraved. If she wears jewrely, there are so many things you can do, just think about the things she likes.

The spa thing was a great idea, most of gals love that stuff! A day at the spa could cost some money, but look around, or even do a dual massage, oola la fun there too!

Make her dinner. Do something she would NOT expect!
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.